Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast Iron Rust

Hi all

I have a new TS 3650 and JP061 both with cast iron tops.

When I first put them together - within the last 2 mos - they developed some rust where I had rubbed off the protective grease during assembly. So when they were assembled, I stripped that grease off with mineral spirits, then buffed out the rust with a scotch pad and wd40 with my sander. I then waxed them with Johnsons paste wax.

Nevertheless, I am still getting a light coat of surface rust on both tools. Just enough that I need to take a cloth and a lot of elbow grease to rub it off. I expected the wax to do a better job of protecting the tools than that.

I should add that the jointer hasnt even been used yet. The TS - maybe turned on 15-20 times. So it's not a matter of the wax being rubbed off with heavy use.

The tools are stored and used in my unheated garage and it has been wet recently - but those factors arent going to change.

I have limited time for this hobby - and it seems like I am using the little that I have on TOOL MAINTENANCE rather than on tool usage.

Is this rust problem normal? Is there a solution? Thanks in advance

Johnson Wax is a poor protector.

Johnson Wax is a poor protector of metal surfaces. You want to apply a good grade military grade rust inhibitor like RemOil or Boeshield T-9. Also, most rust forms on surfaces due to condensation in unheated environments. If you leave a cover on the surface, you will avoid this.

Comment

Johnson's Paste Wax is great for making cast iron surfaces slippery but is a little lacking in the actual rust prevention department. Personally, I use a base coat of Bostik TopCote followed by a coat of Johnson's Paste Wax on top of the TopCote. This combination has worked well for me for many years.

Another product, Boeshield T-9, was rated top product in a WOOD magazine article a few years ago that dealt with rust removal and prevention.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

You live in a humid area go for the boeshield.
        Where I am the paste wax does a good job.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Also cover up the tables when not in use.

Comment

Great. I will buy one of those products. Do you guys recomend that I strip (again) the johnson's off and apply one of these?

Does anybody disagree with the advice to cover the tools? Might that hold moisture in? I would use moving blankets. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by schreibdave View Post
              Great. I will buy one of those products. Do you guys recomend that I strip (again) the johnson's off and apply one of these?

Does anybody disagree with the advice to cover the tools? Might that hold moisture in? I would use moving blankets. Thanks
              Don't worry, it won't hold the moisture in. I live in front of the ocean and with the salty air, anything that isn't covered up and made of steel is rusted over in a little more than a day.

Comment

Originally posted by schreibdave View Post
                Do you guys recomend that I strip (again) the johnson's off and apply one of these?
                Depending on the amount of use my TS gets, I usually strip it down to bare metal 2 or 3 times a year and start fresh.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'm near the beach, too, and use TopCote and moving blankets. Works great! Just be sure to hang the blankets where they can dry when they're not on the tools.

Comment

I was always frustrated by the posts recommending one preservative or another because I don't have any WW stores within an hour and if send for it the postage can add 30%. Well, while shopping for the sons-in-law for Christmas I ran into a display of Boeshield at Sears in the tool dept - $20.

As far as Johnsons Wax goes, I found that I didn't get the best results unless I applied two coats and then one more a week or so. Not the best but better than nothing. I actually didn't notice the slow onset of rust's patina until I did as you did with WD-40 and a sander. Wow, the table looked new. One mistake... had heard of folks using a marine corrosion protectant called Corrosion-X, but I couldn't find it so I bought one at Bass Pro and it turned out to be a type which never got solid. I had to re-strip everything and start again. Stick with Boeshield or the equivalent.
                    Later,
                    Chiz
                    Later,
                    Chiz

Comment

Working...
                    X