Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Substitute for 1" Dado cut in apron (table)

I obtained some free plans to make a dinner table and the instructions call for a 1" dado blade cut in the apron.

Instead of using a dado blade can I use a router bit or a Japanese pull saw.
    I'm pretty sure I can, but are there any disadvantages to using these options.

I only see myself making one major project per year and I want to minimise costs. I don't want to buy an expensive table saw just to support a 1" dado blade. The lower line of portable table saws only support a 1/2" - 3/4" dado blade and I don't want to cut twice.

Any suggestions would help.

Thank you

The router is one of the most versatile tools in any workshop. Properly setup, I see no reason why you couldn't use your router to make that dado.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Even with a router, it will take more than 1 cut. With the router, you would be advised to use a narrower bit (ie 3/4 or 5/8) so that each edge is cut going into the turn of the blade, and depending on the depth, may want to take multiple passes (removing 1/8" depth per pass). That said, it is easy to make a guide jig to use a router. With either method (router or dado blade) some brittle woods (hickory, dry cedar, very dry red oak, etc) benefit from scoring the surface at the edges before the first cut with a sharp knife to reduce tearout.

Just some things I "learned" based on experience.

Sounds like a challenging project. Tables are not an easy task. If you are using solid wood (even glued up planks) for the top, make sure you allow for expansion of the top when attaching it to the base.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
      X