Fence question for ridgid table saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fence question for ridgid table saw

Please forgive me....I am new here and not terribly experienced with wood working. I built one set of kitchen cabinets and was fairly pleased with them, but I think I could do better. Here's the problem I am having. When I am ripping a long board, say 2 1/2" wide, the width is not true from one end to the other. I am not sure if it is the fence that is causing this problem or if the saw blade and motor are slightly off. I am willing to purchase a better fence if that would solve the problem. Can you please advise me where to start with diagnosing the problem? I need to build cabinets for the new house I am building (for myself) and want to do a better job with them. Thanks in advance.

Cindy

You might want to make sure you're blade is aligned to the miter guage slot and that the fence is also aligned to the miter guage slot.

One more thing, check the tension on the lockdown on the fence. It could be loose enough that it pushes away when using.

The manual gives you the necessary steps.

Which table saw do you have?

Michael

Comment

I agree. Go over the setup steps in the owners manual one more time. I think you'll find that something isn't setup quite properly. It could be that the fence isn't squared to the miter slot, the blade isn't squared to the miter slot or possibly the splitter/blade guard isn't properly aligned or any combination of these.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

You may want to check out the post by djame titled Your Honest Opinions in the Tips forum. There's a reply by Bob D that has a link to the owners manual that has more detail for fine tuning your saw. Maybe there is something you missed because it wasn't in your copy of the manual. I downloaded the copy from the link and will check it out later. Good luck. Keep us informed as you progress with the problem.
        If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Thanks guys. I don't remember which model saw it is. I will check when I get home. I doubt I still have the owners manual, it probably got lost when we moved. I'll look for it though, or I'll see if ridgid has one on their web site. I am hoping it is just an alignment problem or something easy to fix. I really don't have the $$ to shell out for a better fence.

Comment

Originally posted by amcnerl View Post
            You may want to check out the post by djame titled Your Honest Opinions in the Tips forum. There's a reply by Bob D that has a link to the owners manual that has more detail for fine tuning your saw. Maybe there is something you missed because it wasn't in your copy of the manual. I downloaded the copy from the link and will check it out later. Good luck. Keep us informed as you progress with the problem.
            thanks!! I'll go look for that link right now.

Comment

Originally posted by carolinagirl View Post
              I doubt I still have the owners manual, it probably got lost when we moved.
              Just a thought, but if you moved and the saw was part of the moving process maybe it is possible something was jarred out of alignment in the process. Going through that online manual and checking your alignments should at least help eliminate those possibilities.
              Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Don't spend money on a 'better' fence until you have exhausted any possibility of the problem lying in the alignment of the saw (especially since it was recently moved by people who are not sensitive to the necessity for precise alignment of a TS), or with your technique of feeding the wood during rip cutting. There are better fences systems out there for sure, but the stock fence should be accurate enough for most of your work when properly setup.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

the ridgid table saws I have looked at in home depot the fence looked like a good one, and looked as if it was a good solid locking unit,

Just an opinion,

but I usually set my fence with a very slightly out of true parallel alignment to the out side, or normally to the right side, about 10 to 15 thousands out of square that gives a slight amount of clearance, on the blade and keeps binding down and also if your cutting thin stock the release of tension causing slight variation in the wood it can help a lot,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                  X