X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer problems(6101)

I am fairly new to woodworking, but have worked around wood in sawmills almost my whole work career.

I just got the 6101 jointer a couple of weeks ago after seeing and hearing alot of good reviews on it.

99% of my stock is old growth doug. fir from the mill i worked at.

for the life of me, i cannot adjust that thing to trim the 3/4" edge square??? I'm ending up either a 1/16 to a 1/32" heavy on one end or the other, depending on where i position the outfeed table.

the pieces i'm putting in are rough sawn, but square to begin with, and on the wide "face' are measuring the same until I start jointing them.

where I've got the outfeed set right now, it's like I need to raise it-----but, i've tried that numerous times, then they get hung up past the cutter?

has anybody had this problem?

thanks.

chris

I would recommend making all adjustments with smooth lumber. The biggest thing to watch for is snipe at the begining or end of the cut. Another thing is technic, always keep down force on the feed side only. For rough sawn lunber I would take several small cuts versus 1 large one. hope this helps.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Try this and see if it helps. Lower the outfeed table enough that the workpiece will not touch it once it's past the cutter head. Next, start to joint a piece of stock until it's 6" or 8" past the cutter head. Shut off the jointer. Finally, raise the outfeed back up so that it just touches the part of the workpiece that you just ran over the cutter head.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks guys for the advice. I saw what badger dave wrote and i thought i had tryed that, but couldn't remember, so went out fired it up and tryed what he said. I still have problems. at first I thought that cured it, so maybe i need to play around with that a little more later. I don't know though, i'm pretty sure i moved the outfeed up to the piece dead on?

I might have to try some stuff TOD said. Maybe i'll get some clean wood at the lumberyard and try that. TOD you said, "push down on infeed side only" is that correct? I've been pushing down alot more on the outfeed side? maybe that's part of the problem?

thanks again guys,

chris

Comment

I second Dave's advice and add to examine your feed technique. If you are not transferring downward pressure to the outfeed table once roughly a third to a half or the board has passed the cutter then you will end up with the product you are now...a tapered cut across the width of the board from end to end. I probably have not explained this well but a review of the proper method in the manual should help. Or look online for a video.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/usejntr.html
          Last edited by Bob D.; 12-04-2006, 08:57 PM.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Another thing too, I don't see any "snipe" at the beginning or the end of the cut. Everything looks and sounds great when I'm running it other than the wide piece of the stock is off by a 1/16" or a 32nd" pretty much every time. And also-- this is on stock only in the 28" to 45" long category too--- I have'nt even tryed running anything longer than that through it yet!

Comment

Ok, thanks, Bob D., I'll look into that more. I've been feeding short stock, so I've been trying to put downward pressure on the outfeed immediately after the beginning of the piece makes it past the cutter and onto the outfeed table. And then I leave my other hand back towards the infeed side feeding and putting pressure down also. Not sure if this is right or not. Thanks for the response.

Comment

first of all take a long straight edge and see if the two feed tables are flat with each other or that they are in the same plane, the straight edge should touch both table all the way from front of the in-feed table to the end of the out feed table, (If they don't then you have a problem, and repair would would need to be made to make work correctly)

next adjust the out feed table to the height of the blades in the cutter head, and lock it, make sure the blades are flat with the width of the out feed table,(across the width of the out feed table),

then adjust the in-feed table to the amount of cut you want to take,

and if these adjustments are made and the blades are properly set in the cutter head, you should be able to feed the stock into the jointer with pressure on either the in-feed table to the out feed table,

I agree with the video feed recomendations
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                http://www.ridgid.com/manuals/englis...0_6442_eng.pdf
                basicly page 22 show the proper alignment, and this manual should show how to adjsut the actuly machine,

this manual is for a jet tool but looks to actuly explane thing s a little better,

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/partfiles/m_708457DXK.pdf

this is a jet manual but pages 16 through 21 will show how the basic parts of the machine should be adjusted, how to adjsut your machine may be diffrnet but the cutter head blades and the outfeed table and infeed table, are the same in there relationship to each other,

another page on setting the head
                http://benchmark.20m.com/articles/Se...terKnives.html
                Last edited by BHD; 12-05-2006, 01:04 AM.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

thanks bhd, I'll pick up a longer straightedge in the morning after work tonight and check that. thanks for that info. from the jet manual too, that was real helpful, for some reason on this ridgid , the manual doesn't go too far in depth on anything, other than putting it together!

Comment

Working...
                  X