Inlay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inlay?

I saw some on Rocker and was wanting to know how hard this is to do? I wanted to make a gun cabinet and I think it would add allot to the look. Can someone direct me to how this is done. Like said before I am new. Is this something I should not try at this point?

i think it is so what simple but not 100% sure. frist dado or route the area you want the inlay then rip the other wood the thickness of the area that was dug out then glue that strip in. sand till every thing is flat and smooth. i have not done any in lays but an up come project of min will have them hope that helps.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

My screwball way of setting inlay...

1. Since it will be challenging to find a bit that is EXACTLY the perfect width, it's usually safer to use an undersized router bit in a plunge router being guided by a jig. You can tweak the jig to get the perfect width of the dado. Use a test piece and check for a perfect fit.

2. Push your plunge router down until the bit just touches the table and lock it in place. Then take a piece of the inlay material and use it to set your depth stop. This should put your inlay at the perfect depth. Use a test piece and check for a perfect fit.

3. Use your jig and router to make the cuts. Clean out any corners with a sharp chisel. Dry fit the inlay.

4. Now is the time to think about whether you want to butt the corners or miter them. I like to miter the corners, and it's nice when you can match the pattern across the miter joint. I use spring clamps to hold the inlay to a miter jig I built, and use a pull saw to cut one corner. Then I match the pattern on the adjacent piece and cut that miter. Typically, the inlay from Rockler is thin enough and soft enough to cut quickly, so go slow and make it smooth.

5. I don't fully glue down inlay. I only "spot" glue it every 6 inches or so. I've found that the tung oil I usually finish with does a good job of fixing the inlay in place (as long as it is closely fitted), and I avoid all the problems associated with squeeze out and oversanding the inlay.

Comment

Working...
      X