No announcement yet.

Wood lathe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American and proud, Why are you shouting? Are you trying to convince the rest of us that you know what you are talking about by capitalising words or are you trying to convince yourself. What is your experience with the tube type lathes? How long did you own one? What you are calling facts are really only opinions, Your opinions. For you to make blanket statements that a product is inferior is a disservice to the original poster and also to other woodworkers. Lathes have been around for well over two hundred years. Leonardo DaVici designed a foot powered lathe that was constructed of wood. Do you also consider this lathe as inferior because it does not have cast iron beds? If you have PERSONAL (yes I shouted) expeience then why don't you quietly state the facts with out the yelling. If you do not have first hand personal experience with the Ridgid lathe then I think that you should refrain from yelling that you are an expert and stating your opinion as unshakable fact when in fact it is only the opinion of someone who does not have first hand personal experience with the tool in question.

Papa Dan has used the lathe for the last six years and I would much quicker believe his posts as fact over ones that rely on yelling and belittling tools owned by others.

Ken

P.S. PapaDan Welcome back I am glad to see you returning to the forum.

Ken

Comment

IF you really want one so be it, heres one for $120.00 http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...lapsed&sb=5&o=
      Picture from swap N sell at woodnet forum. $120.00 is his Asking price, I bet you could get it lower.
      Ridgid Wood Lathe in good condition and upgrades.

Comes with two face plates, one four inch and one six inch. Two rear centers, one fixed and on 60 degree live center. Upgraded link belt for smooth operation and the owners manual.

Features

· 12" Swing, 36" Capacity Between Centers - Handles Up to 12"Diameter Bowls and 36" Spindles
      · Tubular Steel Bed with Cast Iron Headstock, Tailstock, Tool Rest Holder, and Tool Rest
      · Heavy Duty Induction Motor with Upgraded Link Belt Drive
      · 4 Speeds to Accommodate a Variety of Turning Applications
      · 3/4 - 16 Threads ,#1 Morse Taper Headstock Bearing - Accepts Common Accessories
      · 36 Position Indexing Head - Facilitates Fluting and Ornamental Turning
      · Paddle Switch with Safety Lock-Off
      · Complete with Stand and Mounting Platform

Specifications

· Motor: 1/2 HP Induction 120V AC
      · Spindle Diameter (In.) x TPI: 3/4 x 16
      · Bed Type: Tubular Steel
      · RPM - 4 Speeds: 875, 1350, 2250, 3450
      · Heavy Duty Stand with Mounting Platform Capacities: Yes
      · Swing Over Tube (Bowl Diameter): 12"
      · Swing Over Tool Rest (Spindle): 7-3/4"
      · Between Centers: 37"
      · Net Weight: 134 lbs

Asking $120

Originally posted by bigworm View Post
      Well I did know there was a guy trying to sell I newer ridgid one inline. I don't know if he did sell it or not but I think he was asking $300 but if he didn't sell it maybe I can talk him down. I havn't seen them for sale so I don't know what the price would be new. Does anyonehave any idea? Also does ridgid make a good lathe?
      Attached Files

Comment

It's for emphasis , no yelling, cant yell on a silent forum ,just does not work to well. It is a fact that there not the best style of lathes, entry level at best, and not a good choice for one in my opinion. if you read my statement you'd see that a friend of mine has the same model in "Craftsman" name. He also thinks its a piece of junk, he got it free. And yes I have used that style of lathe there not that good. There light weight,vibrate more than a heavier unit,harder to line up head stock and tail stock, and keep them lined up. I never claimed to be an expert, I have done research tho, and personally tried several lathes. I own a 1940's full sized Delta lathe, and just bought a used JET mini off of ebay. and $300.00 for that lathe the poster is looking at is way out of line for it, he was also told by the seller that it is only 1 year old. I wasnt picking on anyone about there owning or use of it, some just love there tool without knowing what a better quality machine is. And was trying to educate the poster on better lathes for the money. Oh and the minimum speed of 875RPM is not very good for large bowl turning, its better and safer to start off slower than this lathe allows. But I know nothing?
        Originally posted by Ken R View Post
        American and proud, Why are you shouting? Are you trying to convince the rest of us that you know what you are talking about by capitalising words or are you trying to convince yourself. What is your experience with the tube type lathes? How long did you own one? What you are calling facts are really only opinions, Your opinions. For you to make blanket statements that a product is inferior is a disservice to the original poster and also to other woodworkers. Lathes have been around for well over two hundred years. Leonardo DaVici designed a foot powered lathe that was constructed of wood. Do you also consider this lathe as inferior because it does not have cast iron beds? If you have PERSONAL (yes I shouted) expeience then why don't you quietly state the facts with out the yelling. If you do not have first hand personal experience with the Ridgid lathe then I think that you should refrain from yelling that you are an expert and stating your opinion as unshakable fact when in fact it is only the opinion of someone who does not have first hand personal experience with the tool in question.

Papa Dan has used the lathe for the last six years and I would much quicker believe his posts as fact over ones that rely on yelling and belittling tools owned by others.

Ken

P.S. PapaDan Welcome back I am glad to see you returning to the forum.

Ken
        Last edited by American and Proud; 12-15-2006, 12:39 AM. Reason: added speed rating

Comment

I agree that $300 is too much. I also know that your FACT is in Fact your opinion as you've heard from others. Thank you for your Fact filled opinions. The FACT that I own one I have used for 6 years, and have no intentions of replacing because it works very well, makes it another Fact that I don't know anything about lathes. JMFO
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

take your medicine, and grow up.how old are you?
            Originally posted by papadan View Post
            I agree that $300 is too much. I also know that your FACT is in Fact your opinion as you've heard from others. Thank you for your Fact filled opinions. The FACT that I own one I have used for 6 years, and have no intentions of replacing because it works very well, makes it another Fact that I don't know anything about lathes. JMFO
            Last edited by American and Proud; 12-15-2006, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I, for one, appreciate and respect BOTH of you for your expertise, and for your willingness to share that expertise with those of us who are learning this wonderful craft. I also appreciate the passion with which you state your respective points of view. Thank you BOTH for enriching this community forum.

Comment

Keep one thing in mind - buying a lathe is just the first step. You can easily spend more $$ on your turning tools than the cost of the lathe.

Comment

AandP, Just posting the FACTS as you put it. Now for the truth to the whole discussion. Thiggy hit the nail on the head. There are people turning wood with clamped down hand drills and doing a fine job with them. Turning chisels, Sharpening technics, and practice are what makes someone a great turner. Anyone can go out and spend a few thousand dollars on a Oneway lathe, but if thier tools are junk, they don't know how to sharpen them, and they have no experience at turning, then that Oneway will not be any better than a HF, Ridgid, Craftsman or any other brand out there. Now THAT is the FACTS Thanks, Thiggy. Dan
                  info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I agree 100% with you on that dan. And the cost of a lathe is only the beginning. And as any skill , it takes time to aquire.
                    A piece of wood chucked in a electric drill can be turned by a skilled craftsman. I posted a tube lathe for him to look at , I believe it already sold, but another poster there said they had the same lathe they would sell, so the poster may still get one alot cheaper if they so choose. I'm not here to argue, I'm here like anyone else, for the love of wood and the love of tools, just trying to help someone make an informed decision and go from there. I will say that I believe a mini lathe is a good choice to start off with, Delta, Rikon, Steel City , Jet or any other brand, most can do just about anything a fullsized lathe can do, most can add bed extentions for longer spindles,and have alot slower speeds to turn rough bowls, at times even 500 RPM is to fast to start off with, Delta, Jet , ect ect. can turn a 10 inch bowl with there swing clearance, the Rikon has a 14 inch swing I believe, so an even larger bowl can be turned on it. There less of an investestment to start off with , I do still believe cast iron ways are a better choice.And will have a better resale value. But once again it's the tooling and accessories that really start adding up. Slow speed grinder, sharpening system like the Oneway Wolverine, accessories for it like the vari grind,skew jig,dressing jig, chisels , HSS sets and individuals out of Sheffield England, chucks,ect. ect. all add up quick, nice burled wood adds up quick too, you start hoarding it only wanting more, lol . I hope he buys himself a lathe that suits him and his needs, no matter what he chooses, its a fun ride , being able to do your flat work, then relax doing a few turnings or two, I say- Enjoy the journey.

Comment

I would take a couple minutes to check out Papa D's website, and you will see what is possible with the Ridgid lathe.

Comment

Oh I have Cheeky, Dan does do nicely with it. I still feel there are far better lathes for the money than that style of lathe.
                        All of what ive seen on his site could also be turned on a mini lathe too. I have both a full sized Delta from the 1940's and a JET mini. I have turned on a friends tube style lathe of the same, and dont like it as much as a more solid cast iron type.( my friend dont like it as much as my 2 lathes either, but he got it for free, and just has it to have it) And alot of turners feel the same way. Lots of discussions on it on other turners forums i'm a member of quite a few.
                        Teachers have stated to steer clear because of there light weight, vibration and some flex problems. (the style not brand)The ridgids lowest speed is 875rpm, that isnt optimal for starting larger pieces at the roughing out stages, in alot of turners eyes, most would like to see the JET mini's 500rpm's slow speed lowerd more. Myself included. I wish there VS model was a electronic VS to go down to zero and gradually crank it up to its highest speed. I never said you could'nt turn on it. just stated its not the best choice in lathes. More power to anyone choosing to turn on one.

Comment

Sorry guys didn't mean to start anything. Thanks for the info. I think this is the same guy and the price is now $175. I might be able to give him $150 cash. You guys think that is a good deal? here is the link http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/250320537.html

Comment

Go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                              Go for it!
                              HAY OLD MAN you know nothing about wood working
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

BUSTED

Comment

Working...
                                X