X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood lathe

Hey guys I never would think I wanted to try wood turning. I have been watching it on TV and it looks cool. How hard is it really? I don't want to go spend to much on one. What is the best price and a lathe that is not junk. I was thinking of starting with some bowls

I got this jet mini from rockler a few months ago
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2441&sid=AFB81

I originally got the Rikon Mini but returned it because it had several problems and the store I bought it from had a few others there that had the same problems

Lots of people have it without complaints. It's solid,quiet and reliable. It's a good lathe to get if you want to see if turning interest's you.
    As a side note, Rockler is offering free shipping this week if you join their VIP club, which I believe is free to join.
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

turning is very easy IMO,

tool sharping is a necessary skill,

a cheap light weight lathe will take a lot of the joy out of the turning process, as it will vibrate and shake, it will work but a good heavy unit will be a greater joy,

a lathe is one item that could be made fairly easy,

when I was in high school I made a lathe with a bed of two channel Irons and a head stock made out of a block of steel tubing and some bearings, and for a tail stock one can use a block of tubing and a good nut and a larger piece of all thread and a locking nut, to adjust the tail stock in and out,

to make the head stock shaft use a piece of bushing stock and have a mortised taper reamed in to it, and then threaded to match a common face plate, and on the tail stock have the all thread drilled out and reamed for a mortised taper, (drill all the way through) so one can knock loose the center,

many of the first wood lathes were made out of wood, and foot powered,

http://www.drywallinfo.com/how-to-wood-lathe.html

more plans are out there
      http://www.google.com/search?q=wood+...ch&sa=N&tab=fw
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Has anyone use the one from HF? I know it is cheap and some people say the stuff they have a crap. Would this be a ok one to start with. I have a HF kind of close to me and I also have a 20% off HD coupon that I think they will take. This is the lathe I was talking about http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45276

Comment

Check your local classifieds or craigslist. You can probably get one for half of what it cost new, and test-drive it right there in the guy's garage. Lots of people run out and buy stuff, use it a couple times, and lose interest.

Later, if you decide that turning isn't for you, you can re-list it and get most of your $ back. If it's something you do like, the starter model can be your down payment on the nice one.

Comment

Well I did know there was a guy trying to sell I newer ridgid one inline. I don't know if he did sell it or not but I think he was asking $300 but if he didn't sell it maybe I can talk him down. I havn't seen them for sale so I don't know what the price would be new. Does anyonehave any idea? Also does ridgid make a good lathe?

Comment

Most everyone will disagree with me, mainly because they don't have and never had one. That being said, I have a Ridgid and it works very well. I have had it for over 6 years now without a single problem. I also have a Jet mini that i use in the house in cold weather. Ridgids are not made anymore, but if you find one in real good shape for under $200 go for it. The old craftsman with the tube down the center is the same lathe, made by Ridgid for Sears. Take a look at my site to see what I have done with the Ridgid Lathe. Even my Pen and Watch turning tutorials were done on it.
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Get yourself a JET mini lathe, you wont be sorry. this thing is a Great value, and a darn good lathe to start off with. If you do like turning and want to upgrade later,trust me,you'll KEEP the JET Mini you'll love it that much. You can turn up to a 10 inch bowl, pens,bottle stoppers,spindles (longer ones with the bed extension @ $49.99) Basically anything you can do with a fullsized lathe,up to 10 inches round.
                I picked mine up used, on ebay, but BARELY used I might add. WITH - 30 assorted pen blanks(37.99 @ Woodcraft) and a 5 piece full sized HSS made in Sheffeild England Woodcraft turning set.($125.00 @ Woodcraft) that have never even been sharpened, still with there out of box factory grind. Heres the ebay pic of it, was a bad pic >
                Then a pic of everything blown off with a blast of air and my own picture of it, as you can see there isnt a scratch or stain on it. I got it all for $126.00. I picked it up locally too, so NO shipping either. Deals are out there just gotta WATCH like a hawk! Now, if you want it NEW and cant wait , cause you just got the "itch" to start turning something, then buy it at Amazon.com they have the BEST price on it @ $199.99, minus $25.00 off of that, with there December code deal going on, no free super saver shipping on it tho. but even with shipping it is STILL the BEST price out there !http://www.amazon.com/708351B-JML-10...6?ie=UTF8&s=hi , you just WON"T be sorry buying a JET mini lathe.
                FORGET about the HF one , you will soon be very disappointed in it, and they have NO resale value IMHO. I got the JET for a steal, and could sell it for a nice profit, IF I wanted to. But I'm keeping her! I added the JET leg stand on my way home from picking her up, there rock solid. If you buy it new from Amazon and decide to sell it later, you'll get most of your money back.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by American and Proud; 12-13-2006, 10:14 PM.

Comment

The see the Ridgid on craigslist for anywhere from $75 to $200 quite often.
                  The jet mini usually runs close to $200 on craigslist. For that price used it should come with a fair amount of accesories.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Do you guys know the last year Ridgid made a lathe? This guy said he wants$300. That sounds high. I dont' know what they went for new. He said it is only 1 year old but it is all gray. Do any of you know the last year they made the all gray lathe?

Comment

Theres a reason it is no longer made, They were not a very good lathe, no matter what "Brand"name was on them. Ridgid dropped it for a reason, and it was NOT because sales were so great on it . I'm NOT bashing ANYONE who owns one and likes it, more power to you. But if you go to any full woodworking forum and ask about it you'll hear the same thing that style of lathe has major flex/vibration problems. At $300.00 used it had better be 24 Karet Gold Plated and the guy kisses you were the sun dont normally shine all the way home and helps you set it up and gives you turning lessons for life.
                      If your set on a fullsized lathe on the cheap, buy a HF with a CAST IRON BED, but don't expect much in resale value either. I've seen the Ridgid one on Craigs List for as low as $50.00 and I would'nt waste my gas going to look at it . 1 year old gray model ? he is LYING! forget that lathe. A friend has the Craftsman model of the same, sure you can turn on it, but not nearly as smooth and solid feeling as a lathe with a cast iron bed, NO if's and's or but's about that FACT! Anyone who tells you different, don't know any better when it comes to lathes. PERIOD.
                      Originally posted by bigworm View Post
                      Do you guys know the last year Ridgid made a lathe? This guy said he wants$300. That sounds high. I dont' know what they went for new. He said it is only 1 year old but it is all gray. Do any of you know the last year they made the all gray lathe?

Comment

Gray has been gone for 3 years. I payed $279 for mine when I bought it new at HD. 300 is too much. Look around for a better deal. AandP, I'm sorry for not knowing better! I'll try and learn something about lathes. LMAOAY
                        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Yea I knew he was full of it. So I guess nobody has used the one at HF?

Comment

As I said , I wasnt bashing anyone for owning and using it, but it is a FACT that that design is a poor choice for a lathe, unless your talking about a "ONEWAY"lathe that is several thousand dollars and HEAVY steel. Just trying to prevent a fellow woodworker from making a POOR choice in a lathe. http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/a...mes;read=98417 , from BT central>
                            buck
                            02-21-2004, 01:16 PM

hello , i was told by a hd employer that the wl-1200-ls was on sale for 149.00 , normal cost of 299.00 , sounds like a deal. any body know anything about this lathe? thinking on going and buying one.

buck

AcornMan
                            02-21-2004, 01:29 PM

Who makes the wl-1200-ls?

buck
                            02-21-2004, 01:34 PM

hello , sorry, the wl1200ls model is by ridgid tool , i was wondering if anyone had any advice on this model?
                            buck

Scottydont
                            02-22-2004, 03:37 AM

At $149 thats dirt cheap! Reviews on the Ridgid forum are not so good. Vibration issues due to weight/poor stand, questions about the stability of the tube base, Morse 1 taper instead of the more common Morse 2, only 4 speeds. I have the Grizzly G5979 which is the same as the Jet 1236. Better stand, sturdier base, Morse 2 taper, variable speed. All have 1/2 HP motors.

Evil_Homer
                            02-23-2004, 12:24 AM

pass on it, get the hf 34706 instead.

buck
                            02-23-2004, 09:05 AM

hello , makeing a decision on lathes and a new band saw has been a difficult choice but with all the advice from people i think i will pass on the ridgid tools and go with the hf lathe 34706 , i will wait for it to go on sale for 179.oo , i hope it does, and i will buy the grizzly ultimate band saw instead of the ridgid because 1. better blade 2. bigger motor 3. nice fence 4. riser available for 50.00 . if anyone has any more advice , i would be happy to listen. Woodnet forums> http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...v=#Post2425807
                            Anothe thread from Woodnet> http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...v=#Post2144512Laugh all you want, you have Alot to learn.
                            Originally posted by papadan View Post
                            Gray has been gone for 3 years. I payed $279 for mine when I bought it new at HD. 300 is too much. Look around for a better deal. AandP, I'm sorry for not knowing better! I'll try and learn something about lathes. LMAOAY

Comment

Theres alot more out there about that style lathe.
                              But like I stated, I was only trying to help a fellow woodworker from making a tool purchase MISTAKE.
                              And I wont get into a name calling childs game.
                              The FACTS are it is a inferior design for a lathe, plain and simple. To the Original Poster , Buy yourself another lathe of ANY brand just NOT the single tube type in this price range.

Comment

Working...
                              X