X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Untempered Hardboard?

I'm getting ready to build a workbench from the plans in the Family Handyman magazine from a couple of months ago. It calls for untempered hardboard to cover the ends of some oak plywood that is cut to a 24" radius. Veneers won't work becuase there are two pieces of 3/4"plywood with a 1.5" gap between them that needs to be covered. My problem is finding untempered hardboard. The tempered stuff is carried at HD and Lowes but not untempered. Any ideas on where to find it or alternative solutions?
    Last edited by adstott; 12-13-2006, 06:38 PM.

Tempered should easily bend around a 24" radius. Another option would be to rip a few strips of real oak 1/16 to 3/32 and laminate them to the edge

Comment

Originally posted by adstott View Post
      The tempered stuff is carried at HD and Lowes but not untempered. Any ideas on where to find it or alternative solutions?
      Just checked our Lowes, and they had what appeared to be untempered back with the wall panelling. Might find some at a builder's supply (ie BDC-Builder's Discount Center) and if you do, it will be cheaper than Lowes or HD. (At least they are here). Onother option may be to close the gap with aluminum flashing or plastic baseboard. Should take about 3 1/2 ft for each 24" diameter semicircle.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks for the info. I tried to bend the hardboard at HD but it just didn't seem flexible enough, i guess it would depend on the thickness of the hardboard. I will look at lowes again and see what they have. I thought about using oak, but since I'm not a woodworking expert I wasn't sure how well that stuff would bend. Even with brads and glue, it seems to me that the wood may want to de-laminate over time, or should it stay put. It seems odd to me that they would use hardboard in the plans instead of the oak, in the grand scheme of things the price difference would be a very small percentage of the project. The plastic baseboard is also a good idea. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X