X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ts2424 miter slot without t-slot

I read a review that slighted the ts2424 saw because it did not have a t-slot guide for the miter gauge. Being a remodeler of my home but new to tablesaws, can someone explain what is the big deal about t-slots? Why or why wouldn't I want to have one on my tablesaw. It seems like the TS2424 is pretty good aside from that.

The "T" slot (inverted T)holds the front of the miter guage down into the slot. There may be times when you are cutting a tennon and have wood clamped to the miter fence that the tim could come out of the groove during the cut.

It is not really a big deal though. If you find it a problem there is probably some other way to make the cut to avoid trouble.

Figuring out how to do some of these things are one of the joys/rewards of wood working.

Dan [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Its also harder to bolt up featherboards and assorted jigs. Use your imagination and youll be fine. Otherwise this is an excellent saw for the money.

Comment

There may be other tools where the T-shape is important, but if you are using a miter gauge with a table saw and don't have enough weight on the workpiece to keep the miter gauge happily in the slot, you are in a danger zone to begin with. The absence of a T-slot is (in my judgment) a meaningless criticism.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments. It doesn't seem like a big deal not to have the t-slot. However, a friend told me that there are a number of accessories that can be purchased that need that feature. He said that he has a hold-down clamp and featherboard that uses it. What do you guys out there think about that? Is the t-slot really needed for that?

I would also like to see a comment from someone at Ridgid. Is there a reason why this feature has not been added? Is there a plan to do so? I heard there might be a safety reason NOT to use a t-slot. Any experienced woodworkers or Ridgid people know why?

Comment

Benchdog has an accessory for their featherboards that allows them to be used in the standard miter slot. They're available at Woodcraft. Hope this helps...

Comment

I use commercial featherboards that ride in the miter slot. Sold at Woodcraft.
              http://users2.ev1.net/~arbuckle/ripping/3090002.jpg

Dave

Comment

Hey Dave,

That sure is a handsome looking push stick (i.e. functional @ safe). Sure puts to shame my sticks made from 1/4" and 1/2" plywood. Nice setup with the Incra fence and router insert. If I had the room I would go that route but my saw has to share space with a lawnmower, pressure washer, leaf blower, you get the idea. Maybe some day (day dreaming). See Ya.

Gregg

[ 05-01-2002: Message edited by: Gregg ]

Comment

Thanks, Gregg. What makes you think my shop isn't sharing with that kind of stuff?
                  http://users2.ev1.net/~arbuckle/ripping/DWAshop06.jpg

In the background, you can make out the "chimney" of a smoker/barbeque (covered in cloth just to the left of the sprinkler controls). To the right and down, there's a lawnmower and an edger. In the top right corner out of view is where the leaf blower hangs.

Actually, I'm lucky enough to have the wife sign off on a backyard shed for this year, so I'll get a little more space. Until then, it is kind of tight.

Dave

Comment

I'v got the Benchdog featherboards and they work perfectly in my 2424....

GREAT saw for the money.. Great saw period.

Comment

The real reason we do not have a t-slot is basically the fact that we never have in the past. As far at the benefits of a t-slot, yes you can clamp feather boards in the slot, but that really is the limit of what they can realistically do. Some have touted the slots as a way to hold your miter gauge in place when you cut wide stock, but if you get wide enough stock where you need the t-slot, you are not going to get very accurate cut using a miter gauge in that fashion. Also, as a minor annoyance, you have to slide you miter gauge all the way across the table to remove it.

On the flip side, more and more people expect a t-slot, so I imagine some day we will have one on a saw (don't ask me when, I don't know).

Jake

Comment

The T-slot is worthless!
                        Andy B.

Comment

Another "NO" vote Jake. I like the straight slots!

Vote "NO" on T's!!!
                          [img]smile.gif[/img]
                          Pete
                          \"Last year we couldn\'t win at home.<BR>This year we can\'t win on the road.<BR>My failure as a coach is that I <BR>can\'t think of anyplace else to play.\"<BR> - Coach Harry Neale, Canucks

Comment

Working...
                          X