X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting metal on TS3650

I've got a carbide tipped Dewalt finishing blade on my table saw. In the past I've used it to cut aluminum angle for different jigs. I have couple of pieces of 8"X12" flashing that I've painted with chalkboard paint and I need to trim them down. They are going to be attached to a 1/4" piece of plywood and I was thinking of running both pieces through the table saw. I only need about a 1/4" cut off the flashing. I don't own any tin snips and was hoping I wouldn't have to buy some tin snips just for this. Can I cut the flashing using the carbide blade or is that a big no-no?

Yes, you can probably do it with no problem; but, do you want to? If you consider this your "go to" blade for your woodworking and it's a new blade, then I wouldn't. Even flashing is going to dull your blade alot more than many, many wood cuts will, IMHO. Do you have an old plywood that's seen it's better days? Or you could buy a new cheap one and keep it for metal work. Aviation snips can be found for about $10.00 ea. Good Luck.

Comment

I'd prefer to do it with an older blade. If you don't have one, sometimes places like Big Lots or the dollar stores have 7-1/4 carbide blades cheap.

Comment

You could also try scribing the flashing if its not too thick with a utility knife a couple times and just snapping it off.

I didn't believe it would work either until I watched a couple insulators the other day doing just that to cut on aluminum jacket for pipe covering. He just scribed it a couple times using a straight edge and utility knife then folded it back and forth twice and it snapped cleanly. Very quick and minimal tools when you are out in the field working. I don't know what gauge the jacketing was but it looked as thick as your std. flashing.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

rnt

I like what Bob D posted and please do yourself a favor and get some tin snips. Over the next several years you'll be glad to have them. You may like a pair like these which I use to cut many things that are just more (too heavy) than regular sissors can deal with.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X