Glue in cold weather

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glue in cold weather

Howdy, I'm new to the forum after purchasing some Rigid tools. Great place.

I've got a question about Gluing - I live in Wisconsin where it's currently -1 degrees F.
    Is it possible to glue in this temp, or will the glue just freeze instead of drying? Should I bring glued parts into the basement?

With standard carpenters glue, I think you've got a problem---you can check the Titebond site for their specs.
    Dave

Comment

In fact, a big problem. Titebond lists the chalk temperature of Titebond II at 55 degrees. "Chalk temperature indicates the lowest recommended temperature at which the glue, air and materials can be during application, to assure a good bond."

Please note that everything needs to be at that temperature. Having the glue above 55 won't help if the wood is at 0.

Comment

Thanks for the temperature info, I found this on the website as well. I had originally set up my project in the garage overnight, and the next day my intuition told me to move it to the basement. The website also mentions that their glue can be successfully frozen and thawn without trouble, so I assume that once indoors, the glue first thawed and then dried. It appears to be holding.

Comment

The information I have on Titebond II is that it will withstand 3 cycles of freeze/thaw.
          You could always go to a modern glue like polyurethane which can be kept in the freezer between uses.

Comment

Working...
          X