X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Jointer Base

I assembled my JP0610 jointer today and there is a very loud noise coming from the base cabinet. I am reasonably sure it is caused by the left side of the motor mount bracket vibrating against the left side panel. If I push the motor mount bracket in just the right way the noise goes away, but comes back when I release the pressure. I made sure the lower tab of the motor mount is inside the left side panel as the instructions say it should be. I also confirmed all the bolts are tight. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this infernal noise for good?

I have the older JP0600, so I apologize in advance if my suggestion makes no sense.

Could you sandwich some foam rubber weatherstrip, or automotive gasket material, between the two vibrating parts? It's a common method of eliminating annoyance rattles.

Dave

Comment

You are probably correct; I had an annoying rattle emanating from that location on mine too. Yesterday I simply placed some gasket material between the two lower connections of the Motor Mount Bracket and the Left Side Panel and it completely eliminated the noise. Good Luck

Comment

Thanks all for the suggestions so far. However I am thinking that if the jointer needs some kind of gasket material in the base cabinet Ridgid should have provided it. Also I wonder how long any gasket material would last under the heavy vibration/rubbing going on in that part of the base.

I wonder if this loud rattling noise is to be expected in the product (doubt it) or if I got a lemon or if I goofed the assembly somehow. I used the gravity method to put tension on the belt. Could too much/too little tension on the belt trigger this rattling? I am not looking forward to dissassembling/reassembling the 200 pound beast several times in order to find the best way to solve the problem.

Comment

Like I said earlier, I don't have that model. I would have to look at the manual on mine to know how it was put together even, it's been too long.

As far as this concern: Also I wonder how long any gasket material would last under the heavy vibration/rubbing going on in that part of the base.

There's no heavy vibration in a woodworking jointer. Automotive gaskets live for years and years in one of the most hostile environments imaginable.

But for sure, be sure, you have assembled it correctly. Otherwise, you could just mask a problem that will give you grief later.

Dave

Comment

My Ridgid jointer had a bit of noise and vibration when first assembled, but I was able to get rid of it by adjusting the leveling feet. Breaking in the belt for about 20 min also seemed to help.

Comment

I to just assembled a new Ridgid jointer. The one thing I do know that it is without doubt it is vibration free. It is relatively quiet and passes a sustained nickel test, through repeated startup and shut downs. I did tension the drive belt in the inverted position, and although it was a real test tightened all the obscured bolts in the stand and motor mounts
              Mark

Comment

After reading Mark’s post, I definitely have some work to do on my jointer. Mine has way too much vibration to even contemplate attempting the nickel test. I ran mine with the fence removed so I could view the belt, which appeared to have too much play and once again tightened/adjusted the motor. It made a slight improvement but still too much vibration to be acceptable. I’ll try Kent’s suggestion of breaking in the belt next, any other suggestions?

Comment

So, I decided to put a bead of silicon rubber sealant on the edges of the motor mount bracket that appeared to be rubbing against the left side panel. I also decided to adjust the belt tension using the upside down method, which I think resulted in somewhat less tension than I had before.

I am happy to report the base cabinet is no longer making the rattling noise. As for vibration, I did the nickel on edge test at the jointer feed table and the nickel dances a little but stays on edge even during startup.

I feel the silicon rubber bead was the most significant factor and the belt tension probably wasn't much of an issue.

[ 01-03-2003, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: Tidris ]

Comment

Ok, apparently I’m being just a little too critical. Just for the heck of it I just tried the nickel test on my jointer and it survived several power-up and shut down cycles with no fall downs (did a modest amount of jiggling). To me it still seems to vibrate too much but maybe that’s because I’m comparing the vibration to my TS2424, which is pretty much nonexistent.

Comment

Woodslayer,
                      I don't have the jointer but have many other large power tools at here and work and have also noticed from experience that the power tools operate the smoothest being level both in all directions and the lock nuts on the rubber feet tightened securely... Also drive belt pulley alignment is critical on most power tools to reduce vibration...

Once again, I don't offer this as to be specifically your jointers problem since I don't have one, but a common tool practice I follow in general when setting up and running based power tools...

Food for thought...
                      Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Woodslayer
                        If the nickle jigged but stayed up Ithink your doing great
                        But what do I Know..

Comment

Thanks for all your suggestions, checked the level of the Jointer where is was sitting as suggested by Big J and it was not, so I moved it to a level location and that seemed to help. I suspect by putting it on a mobile base with solid casters and no longer having the rubber feet to absorb vibrations may also contribute. The base still has some vibration but it is minimized by the time it transmitted up to the tables. I’m now satisfied and will quit striving for perfection. Thanks again!

Woodslayer

Comment

Working...
                          X