X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser On The 12" Compound Slide

Has anyone have problems with the laser on the 12" Rigid Compound Slide lining up with the saw blade? I find mine is just to the left of the blade and if I line up the laser mark then I will be off my cut.

Any suggestions on this problem or is it just something I have to live with.

Thanks

Kevin
    Kevin

"SABOT ON!"

Yes I have the same problem. I have read many others have had the same problem. I might just get an after market one and see if that works. I dont think any other brands have this problem just Ridgid. I love the saw so I just do it the old way.

Comment

I have the Ridgid 12" compound, not slider, and it is off abit too.
      If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

All miter saws, not just Ridgid, that have the washer type laser on them are slightly off the mark. The actual cut line and the laser line are off by anywhere from 1/32" to 1/16". It's just the nature of the beast.

I have one of those washer type lasers on my CMS and I just ignore it. Lining the cut up with the blade is just as fast as using a laser. Doing it that way, I'm also 100% sure of where the cut will actually be.

If you feel that a laser is a must have for your situation, check out the Laser Kerf laser. It generally receives very positive reviews from those that own one.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Hey Dave so I was wronge I guess I don't use and other CMS with a lazer other then mine. I was thinking of trying another aftermarket brand and see if it was any better. Oh well I will keep doing the same way I always have and just not use the lazer.

Comment

At a recent Woodworkers show in Novi, MI I asked at the Ridgid booth about this and was advised that you need to have the head in the full upright position when lining up your mark with the laser. I tried it and it is better. The laser line when doing this is like the broken white line in a road. I still like matching the blade and my tick mark.

Comment

Happens to all arbor mounted lasers. There's simply no way to adjust it. Its fine for rough cuts and as a safety device. If red line is over fingers, stop.... For precision work its utterly useless. If you want a perfect mark you'll need an after market unit like the Laserkerf. Only drawback is I hear that due to the way it mounts it doesn't hold alignment for very long. If you must have built adjustability the best bet is to get a saw with built in independant laser systems like the Dewalt 715/716/718 or the Makita LS1013L/FL or 1214L/FL. The Dewalt offers it as an aftermarket option while its standard on the Makita with the L designation at the end. They are fully adjustable and can be switched on/off independant of the blade spinning.

Comment

I've got the delta twinlaser and it works awesome. You can adjust either side so it exactly matches the kerf of the blade. It also has a on/off switch on the handle.

The after thought laser ones are useless and I think quite dangerous. The fact that you have to move your work under a spinning blade to line up the cut is a bad design.

Matt
                Last edited by manfang; 12-23-2006, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks to all that responded. I too just use the pencil mark and it is good to see that I am not the only one with this problem.

Merry Xmas to all from Canada!!
                  Kevin

"SABOT ON!"

Comment

Working...
                  X