X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table saw wings

Let's rember that the wings on the TS 2424 & 3612 can allow feather boards to be clamp close to the table and close to the blade. With solid wings the clapms are farther out which I hate! Just my $.02 cents.
    Andy B.

I agree with Andy. I love the webbed wings. Allows for clamping of many things, where solid wings would make you use extremely long pieces of wood to make feather boards to clamp at the ends. The additional weight surely would effect the lift system as well as it was designed for the weight factor of webbed wings.

(my 2 cents)
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Andy & Woody. If you hadn't seen them yet there are magnetic feather boards that clamp as close to your work if you have a solid platen on your table saw top. Easy lock down in place, and easy to reposition or remove, and it also has a push down to keep the piece from drifting up. I couldn't be happier with it. Rockler has them for about 40.00.

Comment

I have seen them. But there nothing like taking a pice of scrap wood and making it into a feather board.
        Andy B.

Comment

Actually---I wouldn't own a magnetic featherboard! Too expensive and they can move horizontally.

Wouldn't know what I'd do without my webbed wings. They're also great on some assembly projects.
          Dave

Comment

Count me in as a webbed winger!!
            Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

hammerman,

No offense, but the only trust I put in magnets, is the ones contained within the electrical motor housings. If I can't personally "CLAMP" it solid to my satisfaction, I ain't usin it!

[ 04-07-2003, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]
              John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

My saw doesnt have the webbed wings and I haven't tried the magnetic featherboards, but have a couple of these. The slide expands as you tighten it into the miter slot and locks it in place. They work well as long as the width of the board doesn't protrude past the left hand miter slot. When the piece does extend past the miter slot, I clamp a featherboard that I made to the table.

Bob R

(edited to add URL)

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...tegory=1,42207

[ 04-07-2003, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Bob R ]

Comment

I've often wondered how people clamp feather boards in place when they have solid wings. I use the openings all the time for feather boards and other jigs. As far as the $40 magnetic feather board, I would have a hard time justifying even $5 for a feather board when I can make a perfectly good one out of scap. Yes I drop stuff through once in a while, but its a small price to pay.

Comment

No offense taken guys, just offerin another way out of a situation. That magnetic featherboard
                    came in handy when i was doing some routing to make banding for veneer shelves. It was much easier than when i had to have both hands on either side of the router bit sliding an 8' piece of oak through there. but if you got the webbed wings then it don't make sense to use the magnetic one.

happy woodworkin guys

Comment

Working...
                    X