X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooked On Ridgid/More Bandsaw Questions

Ok, I want to buy a BS1400. I've read all the posts about the mods that make the 1400 a quiet smooth running saw, i.e.,
    urethane tires, $50
    link belt, $25
    better grommets under motor, $5
    stiffening the base with a plywood shelf, Scrap stock
    (Are the motor and saw supposed to sit on ply also?)
    replacing tensioning nob and bolt with a crank, $30
    balancing wheels, On hand washers and epoxy

This roughly brings the initial cost to $500. Is there anything else I'm forgetting? I know that I will upgrade the blade, but I would do that with any saw, so I can't count it for initial cost of this unit.

Originally posted by Hector B View Post
    ..........Is there anything else I'm forgetting?
    IMHO yes there is. For roughly that same amount of money I would suggest you take a look at this bandsaw. Add the riser block and you're resaw capabilities are better with the Griz's 1 HP motor vs the Ridgid's 3/4 HP and after adding the riser blocks to the cost of the Ridgid the Griz comes out less expensive.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Maybe it has to do with the orange version, but I have not done any of those things to my BS1400. Runs just fine and I use it all the time.
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

All I did to mine was balance the wheels. Now it runs smooth.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Well, thanks a ton guys. I really appreciate the input. It made me remember that there can be better value for my dollar out there. Plus, some times I let myself get pulled too much by the lure of quick gratification. HD and a new 1400 are only 10 minutes away. I have eyed the GO555 after having read good things about it, and am impressed. Are there any current reviews or comparisons that you are aware of, so I can do some more homework? I'll let you know when the purchase is made. It's close, I hope.
          Last edited by Hector B; 12-26-2006, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Here's a recent test of bandsaws done by American Woodworker in Oct. & Nov. of 2004. They grouped the saws in the under $1K and a $1,000 to $1,500 group. This is a 25 page PDF file. While it may be a little dated the pros and cons of the various makes and models will carry forward to current models and give you an idea of what to look out for. There is good discussion of the major components of a BS; wheels, frames, tables and fences, motors and power requirements, etc.

http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...T_Bandsaws.pdf
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Hector B View Post
              Ok, I want to buy a BS1400. I've read all the posts about the mods that make the 1400 a quiet smooth running saw, i.e.,
              urethane tires, $50 Check here http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4896 for about half your suggested price. With patience and eyes open you can get them just under $20.
              link belt, $25 You're about on the money with this one but again, sale price is about $20.
              better grommets under motor, $5 Didn't find these necessary
              stiffening the base with a plywood shelf, Scrap stock I did it but didn't see a big change on my saw but, it's free and a shelf is useful
              (Are the motor and saw supposed to sit on ply also?) ??
              replacing tensioning nob and bolt with a crank, $30 There are a couple of webpages of homemade cranks and one for a lever that tensions the saw with a lift of the lever and an attached swinging leg to hold it there. I haven't done this yet but it's in the cards,
              balancing wheels, TOD said it. This is probably the best thing that you can do for the vibration factor. The factory 'balance' wasn't even close. On hand washers and epoxy I'm not sure what this refers to.

This roughly brings the initial cost to $500. Is there anything else I'm forgetting? I know that I will upgrade the blade, but I would do that with any saw, so I can't count it for initial cost of this unit.
              Another way to stretch your buck is to watch for a Cummins Tool Sale. They are an authorized seller of Ridgid re-certified tools. I got mine about 3 months ago for $249. That gave me room for tires, a link-belt and cool blocks. I recently picked up a (never) used riser kit from a gu who changed his mind. I paid more than Grizzly's price on that one but they are the best deal around. I may wish that I had Grizzly's additional 1/4 HP but, for now, I'm makin' sawdust, smilin' and have a couple of bucks left in my pocket. I have a little over $300 in it - think I'll buy a Tmberwolf blade for resawing. What ever you decide, have fun!
              Later,
              Chiz
              Later,
              Chiz

Comment

Working...
              X