X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which shop vac?

I need a larger shop vac to pick up dust in my shop. I am thinking about 6-10 gallon. Anyone have any suggestions on good/bad shop vacs?

I currently have a Shop-Vac brand but have also used a Ridgid brand quite a bit. Big things I would look at are HP ratings, accessories, and length of hose and plug-in wire.

Comment

I've been somewhat happy with my Shop-Vac QSP. It's quiet and has good suction...

Comment

I went from a 15 year old craftsman to a Ridgid WD1850 last year. They have made huge gains in lowering the noise level and the new one will pretty much suck the chrome off a trailer hitch, however the golf ball got stuck halfway thru the garden hose

Comment

Another vote for the ShopVac QSP Series. I've had in my shop a QSP35 8 gal vac for years that I use for sanding and vacuuming the floor. The 1-1/4" hose is great for when I'm sanding yet big enough to suck up most everything else except large chunks of wood. As Newman stated, it's very quiet as far as shop vacs go.

I also sorta super sized mine a bit. In order to capture all that fine dust I get when sanding I changed out the factory filter for a HEPA filter and also added drywall filter bags. I found by adding the drywall bags that I didn't have to clean the HEPA filter nearly as often.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

BD...What exactly are drywall bags and where can they be acquired?
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

FINER9998.........These are the bags I use. They will fit the ShopVac 5, 6 and 8 gallon vacs. There is a larger bag available for bigger vacs. If you have a retailer in your area that sells the ShopVac brand they may have them in stock. They're not inexpensive but more importantly they do work.
              Last edited by BadgerDave; 12-29-2006, 06:13 PM.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would second what BadgerDave has to say. I have used a 10 gallon QSP ShopVac with the yellow fine dust bags and the blue filters what are very easy to wash in the sink. Overall this did pretty well for me. I really wish that Ridgid would get into dust collection bags and better filters. Anyway, here's a link to the ShopVac site where with a little prowling around you can find out about their bags and filters. I will say this though: A good well made industrial grade machine is much better made, but do remember that ShopVac Corp. makes a big range of models from some that really are pretty much junk up to some pretty good commercial grade machines. If any of you want a really nice machine for all kinds of dry dirt (you can add the float valve assembly for water pickup), I would take a good look at the top models that Milwaukee markets which are made under contract by Mastercraft for them. Please see links below and I hope they are helpful.

(ShopVac - accessories, bags and filters) http://www.shopvac.com/accessories.asp

(ShopVac - Their good machines - Try to work your way through several pages. Page numbers are at the bottom of the page) http://www.shopvac.com/vacs/list.asp...=Industrial%25

(Milwaukee vacuum cleaners - Please see models 8911, 8912 & 8925 but remember they get costly as you must buy the machine, then the hose you need and then all needed accessories. The good part is that you can get the machine YOUR WAY) http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba...185_189349_362

(Hoses and accessories) http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._189324_127418

The 8911, 8912 are the same machines other than the motor-fans used in them. The 8925 is their "All Out" top of the line model that's still reasonable size and weight. Please remember these are for people that will really use them. They get into big $$$ The 8911 with a basic hose and some basic attachments is a nice investment. All of the above take a high quality collection bag, but they are a bit costly. If you are just sucking up stuff like wood chips and small stones you can suck them directly into the drum. Where they really are nice is for ashes (cold only) or drywall dust or some other dirt that you want to be inside a throwaway bag. The bags for the 8925 are really big and hold loads of dirt. Unlike the U shape bags that ShopVac uses, these bags fill up most of the drum. These are machines you need to see and use before thinking of spending good money for.

Comment

wow! thanks for all the feedabck guys - you guysknow your vaccuums!

Comment

I use the Ridgid convertable vac. I think it's a 16 gallon and can be used as a leaf blower. 20' cord and plenty of attachments. Works great.
                    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

ShopVac Accessories

For the basics in ShopVac brand accessories, I normally go to Lowes. If I need something special, I order it directly from ShopVac through their web site. www.shopvac.com

Comment

Working...
                      X