Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wixey WR-300 Digital Angle Gauge

Bob D,

I have seen those two set screws and never knew what they were for. A guy at the Pro Desk at HD said he would order a manual for me.

Thank You,
    Tom

Comment

Bob D,

How do you use the Wixey for a belt/disc sander? I have a Sears 6" belt with a 9" disc. I have to adjust the table not the sanding mechanism. OK wait. I can lay the belt down horizontally, I generally use it in a vertical position, and adjust the table to it at 90. It seems like it might be trial and error for the disc though. I only have one table on the sander. I have to move it from the disc to the belt. Of all the things I have to adjust the sander is the worst. No matter what I try after I tighten the table and recheck it it goes out. I have to be very careful when I sand small boxes and I am forever checking the boxes for square with an engineers square and turning them upside down, sideways whatever. A lot of the boxes I make have a rounded top. After I cut the top on the bandsaw I use the disc to clean up the saw marks and the same holds here. I have to turn the box from its face to its back to keep the top uniform. If the Wixey works it will greatly simplify my life.

Thanks,
      Tom

Comment

I zero the WR-300 on the belt then move over to the table and set that to whatever angle I need in relation to the belt or disc.

On the BS, I stick the WR-300 right on the blade and zero it, then set it down on the table and tilt it over to whatever I need for the cut.

I use this as my guide:

Zero the Wixey on the fixed part (blade, belt, table, etc.).
        Then set the Wixey on the movable part (again, the blade or belt, or table) and adjust to the angle required.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 02-08-2009, 09:31 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
          Bob D,

I have seen those two set screws and never knew what they were for. A guy at the Pro Desk at HD said he would order a manual for me.

Thank You,
          Tom
          Tom here is the manual for the 3650 in pdf format. (need the free Adobe Acrobat reader to view)
          Cheers! - Jim
          -------------
          All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Woodcraft has the Wixey on sale right now for $29 for any of you who have been holding out. At that price it's near impossible to pass up as it can be used in the setup of so many tools and jig in the shop.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

I've been using the Wixey for several months now. What a nice device! My primary use is on the band saw. Much, much eaiser than the andle gauge on the saw. Get one, you'll really like it!
              Jim

Comment

I just purchased mine yesterday at Woodcraft which has them on sale for $29.99 through the end of August. This has got to be one of the most useful tools ever invented for woodworkers. The accuracy is a stunning .1 degree of angle which these mature eyes could never hope to read from a mechanical tool of any sort. The only moving part is a small wiper that changes the capacitance value of the measuring circuitry. It's weight is measured in grams or even micrograms. The twin circuit boards inside the unit don't physically touch each other so with only one tiny moving part, they don't stand much chance of wearing out. Neat tool!

Comment

The Wixey Angle Gauge is again on sale if you missed it.
                  Rockler has it for $29, and the others who carry it regularly such as Woodcraft may too.

I get plenty of use out of mine. Its a great gift idea/hint to pass on to those who have trouble finding something for you.

It's probably the best $39 I spent on a shop tool. And you can get one now for $29. How can you go wrong?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ckler%20Outlet
                  Last edited by Bob D.; 02-08-2009, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Got mine from Craftsman Studios a couple of months ago, and used it like crazy on a project where it was easier to cut my bevels and then cut a 90*, long story, but it was so reassuring to just zero it too the table and then stick it to the blade, (key out)!

On sale here for $26; http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/C019003.htm

I was so impressed I also just picked up the Wixley Height Gauge, it's mighty slick too!

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=20350

Chef HDAN

Comment

i love mine!
                      m

Comment

The Wixey digital gage works well. The only drawback is battery life. It draws current even when it's turned off. I checked with the manufacturer and was told I can remove the battery if not using it for long periods of time with no problems. The batteries cost over $5.00.

Comment

Originally posted by ronseto View Post
                          The Wixey digital gage works well. The only drawback is battery life. It draws current even when it's turned off. I checked with the manufacturer and was told I can remove the battery if not using it for long periods of time with no problems. The batteries cost over $5.00.
                          How long do the batteries usually last, assuming you don't remove them?

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                            How long do the batteries usually last, assuming you don't remove them?
                            I got about 6 or 7 months out of my battery before it went dead. The batteries for it are expensive if you buy locally one at a time. There are places on the Internet that sell them quite cheaply. I just ordered a pack of 20 for under $4 delivered to my door. I haven't received them yet but even if I only get a month or two out of each battery its still a lot cheaper them buying them locally.
                            ================================================== ====
                            ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Working...
                            X