Wixey WR-300 Digital Angle Gauge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wixey WR-300 Digital Angle Gauge

I received a Wixey WR-300 Digital Angle Gauge for Christmas and after having had a chance to use it once or twice so far I can say it is very handy and easy to use.
    1. Turn it on and place it on the reference surface.
    2. Press the Zero button to zero the gauge.
    3. Move the gauge to the surface to be measured/adjusted and read the angle displayed to the tenth of a degree.
    It's small (about 2” x 2” x 1.25”) and fits easily in an shop apron pocket. The case is mostly metal. There are three magnets on the base.

I went around my shop and set all the fences on my various tools in a matter of a few minutes. It's no more accurate than a good square, but one plus is its hands free so you have both hands available to make adjustments if needed and it measures any angle which a square can not do. Should make setup on the Miter Saw easier as well as other tools.

"When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Bob, from the looks of the picture it looks to be fairly easy to read, is it? By that I mean are the numbers big and bold enough to read without being up close and personal? I've been considering getting one but have been holding off until I could actually see one.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Hi Dave,

Yes, I find it easy to read when viewed at arms length or even farther away. The displayed digits are about 1/2" high, you have the problem of viewing angle as you do with any LCD display of this type, it is no worse or better than most.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

Thanks

Bob - thanks for your comments. I have been intrigued with the gauge, but worried that it would just be another $40 toy that sits in a cabinet unused. You have pushed me off the fence. Of course it is now back-ordered everywhere, so I guess I get to wait.

Comment

WR-300 on sale

Hey everyone, I just saw in the latest copy from Eagle America that they have the WR-300 on sale for $31.99, this is a good deal I think. I use mine a lot and not just for setting up WWing tools. With the ability to zero it to any surface, and then read the corresponding angle from another, it's very handy. It does not have a level function so don't be getting one and thinking you can use it as a small electronic level. You could set it on top of your favorite bubble stick and then be able to read angles to the tenth of a degree.

Comment

Re: WR-300 on sale

I've been thinking of this one from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Denali-Inch-Di.../dp/B000HDK6RM
            You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooligan View Post
              Which, except for the color, looks identical to this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94694

I bought the HF model when it was on sale for $25 a couple of weeks ago. The first one read 179.3 degrees when I laid it out on our granite counter tops (as flat of a surface as I can think of). It should have read 180 degrees. I took it back and tested another one in the store. That one read 179.0. While you can close the protractor and reset the 0 degree setting, there is no calibration for 45, 90 or 180 degrees.

While the manufacturers of these devices make a true claim of +/- 0.1 degree of resolution, that is not the same as 0.1 degree of accuracy. IMO, you can easily buy an inaccurate digital measuring device and be lulled into a false sense of accuracy. I walked out of HF very disappointed because I really liked this protractor's ease of use. I am tempted to buy another one some day. Like the reviewer on Amazon, this time I would like to try to open the thing up to see if there is some kind of adjustment I can make to it to get it to read accurately.
              Last edited by VegasGuy; 04-28-2007, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I'm still holding out for the Wixey. Sent the link to my wife.....my birthday is the end of May. LOL

Mark

Comment

Which, except for the color, looks identical to this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94694
                  Guess I'll hold out till something like that design comes along that's affordable.
                  You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Comment

Re: Wixey WR-300 Digital Angle Gauge

I received my Wixey in the mail a couple weeks ago. I set it on my 3650 which I had set to 90 degrees and the Wixey indicated the blade was off by only 1/10 of a degree. That seemed to be well within tolerances for a table saw. My jointer fence on the other hand was off by three degrees.

Comment

I'm new to the Wixey too, and find to be a pretty cool device....easy to use and useful. Heck of a nice gift!

When I first put it on my blade it was hovering right around 90.0, bouncing once or twice to 89.9 out of 8 readings, which is pretty much it's tolerance. I made a bevel cut, brought the blade back, checked it with the Wixey and found it to be 89.6, so I cranked a little harder on the saw's handwheel and rechecked it at 90.0.

It's easy and seems to be accurate and precise. I know a square is easy too, but it's much harder to detect a 4/10th's shift with a square.

Comment

I had to crank my 3650s handle pretty hard to get it to 90 from the 89.9. The tolerances of the Wixey indicate it is accurate to within 1/10 of a degree. Now I don't know which is correct since the saw was off less than 1/10 of a degree is it now 90.1? I don't know and certainly don't care. That is close enough for me. The real nice feature for me is to be able to set the jointer fence with both hands. That used to be a real bear to wrestle for me. Now, after zeroing, I just put it on the fence, hold the fence with one hand and tighten the knob with the other hand.

Comment

Tom, you say you had to crank down hard on the handwheel to get to 90, maybe what you need to do is back off the 90 set screw in the table top, then adjust the blade to be 90 to the table, and reset the stop screw. Once you do that then tilt the blade a few degrees and then bring it back to 90 and make sure it repeats. The WR-300 works great on bandsaw blades, Radial Arm Saws, and even for setting the DP table square to the quill. I also use it on my belt/disc sander to set the tables there too. It's think the $39 regular price is reasonable and at this reduced price it's an even better deal.

Comment

Bob D,
                            I didn't realize there was a stop that could be loosened. I will look for the stop the first chance I get. I bought my 3650 assembled, so I don't have the benefit of 'knowing the saw' that would have resulted if I had set it up myself. Someone bought it at HD, brought it home, assembled it, didn't like it for some reason and brought it back a few days after he bought it. The tool corral manager had an argument with the guy when he returned it and I walked in just after the purchaser left. I had been looking at a 3650 for a couple months and had talked to the tool manager many times about one. When he saw me he asked if I still wanted a 3650. I said, "Yes." He told me the story, and said if I wanted the one just returned I could have it for $250. I bought it. Seldom am I in the right place at the right time but Lady Luck was smiling on me that day.

Tom

Comment

Nice score on the saw Tom. You should go and download the manual which will explaining setting up the saw and other stuff you need to know. In the table top in front of and to the left and right the blade are two Allen head setscrews down below the table top. They are used to adjust the 90 and 45 degree stops.

In the photo above you can see the two holes to the left and right of the throat plate, almost in line with the throat plate hold down screw.
                              Last edited by Bob D.; 02-08-2009, 10:29 AM. Reason: added photo

Comment

Working...
                              X