X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the TS3650

Hi folks, I'm a newbie to woodworking. I have been looking at the TS3650 table saw from Ridgid. But, I am confused about one thing: does this saw have an externally mounted motor or internally mounted? I have read it both ways unless I misread something. This will make a huge difference in whether or not I have the room in the garage to store it. But the saw itself looks terriffic.
    Great forum, BTW; great ideas, great information.
    -- Michael McKinney, N. Texas

The 3650's motor is definitely outboard. It'd be nice to see them evolve it into a hybrid with an internal motor. The outboard motor design has very little advantage in this day and age.

Comment

I think it is an excellent saw, but it does have an externally mounted motor which adds another 10" to the depth for storage (total about 46" with the fence installed. A couple inches less if you store the fence under the saw in the provided storage clip).
      The TS2400 is a portable saw that comes with a collapsable cart/stand. It is a direct drive (blade mounted to the motor shaft), so the motor is internal. It is noisier, tho, and doesn't have the cast iron top or wings.

Hope this helps
      Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by LankyTexan View Post
        This will make a huge difference in whether or not I have the room in the garage to store it.
        It isn't a garage, it is a shop. The question is if the cars have room.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Hi folks. Thanks again for the nice info. An outboard motor is a problem, even though, ejh20, it "may" be a shop. Pushing the cars out into the wind, rain, hail, heat, etc. is just not an option at this moment in time. I do have ground space for a 12 x 12 outbuilding, but that, too, I fear is a long ways away -- just a beginner, I am, I am. For me, two cars must be inside at the end of the day, not just one.
          I have seen the TS2400, and am not convinced that it is what I need for what I want to do in woodworking. I have tried small saws, and without extra $$ equipment (inflow, outflow, side support, etc.) you just can't do a precision job on stock more than 16" long, and especially so if the stock is heavy like oak or mahagony. Already I've had trouble supporting 12" wide stock in front of the blade accurately -- and I'm just starting out.
          So, the ~42" front to back is an issue, and so is the 64" width, although I can get along with that, I think. I guess I'll keep looking.
          Thanks again for the info and laughs.
          -- Michael.

Comment

If you're really pinched for space Ridgid has a job-site saw on a collapsable, wheeled stand (model #?? [2424, 2420??]). It received a very favorable review in Wood magazine a few months back.
            Later,
            Chiz

Comment

What you could consider is working without a TS for the near future. There are alternative ways to do just about every possible cut on a TS.

Consider building up your inventory of other tools that will take less space but let you accomplish the same result. Choose tools that when you finally DO have space for a TS they will still be of use to you.
              • You can handle ripping long lengths and wide crosscuts with a good CS and rip guide. Consider one of those that you attach your saw or router to (Emerson makes one in various lengths but I don't remember the name its marketed under right now).
              • A Miter Saw can handle crosscutting and beveling.
              • A decent 12" or 14" Bandsaw will require less floor space when stored but perform ripping, resawing, and other tasks easily.
              These are just a couple examples off the top of my head, I am sure others can relay how they have overcome the same space limitations you are facing now. When you get that stand-alone shop built then you can pick up a good TS and you'll have the rest of your shop already to move in.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I agree whole-heartedly on the amount of table in front of the blade. When I was looking for one, I wasn't sure if I wanted the portability of something like the 2400, or the large table of the 3650. I went with the 3650 and have been very happy I did. I have found since that as long as my miter saw is portable (have it mounted on the Ridgid MSUV), and I use a little ingenuity with my circular saw, I rarely miss a TS when I'm doing obs at the relatives (I'm not a professional carpenter). For must-haveTS stuff (dadoes, etc or precision pieces) I precut it at home and do the rest at the job site.
                For an interior pulley drive, you are talking a true cabinet saw, or possibly one of the new "hybrids". Keep your eyes open for a used one in good condition and you may get a real good deal. Make sure whatever you buy will meet what power you have available. Most cabinet saws are 220v and some are 3 phase.
                Good Luck

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                X