X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table saw

I to am looking to buy a new table saw that is affordable(less then $500) and I am looking at the two Ridgid models but I do not live by a HD (one is currently being built here) to check on prices. I do have a older cheaper Sears saw but I am very unhappy with accuracy as the miter gauge is not tight and wobbles slightly and the fence is not easy to setup without many measurements and still I will be off on my cuts. Can anyone recommend a saw?

I have looked into them as well, for the future. If you have room, I think I would go with Delta. Something like their Model 36-505X.
    <a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/buctooth\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/buctooth</a><br />Please tell us how you like the site, even if you hate it. If you want, feel free to visit the forum.

Comment

You'd do well if you can get a full sized contractor type saw with a good fence. Some come with decent miter gauges, some need some help, but you can always build a crosscut sled if the miter gauge is sloppy. Sears has a new line of saws out that have been getting rave reviews....the 22104 goes on sale pretty frequently for under $500. If you can squeeze a bit more out of your budget, the 22114 adds cast iron wings and a better fence...it goes on sale for ~ $540 quite often.

Grizzly has a model (G0444) with a great fence for $495 plus $78 s/h if needed.

If those are too steep, HD has a clearance price of $399 on a Delta 36-675...excellent value if you can find one. They also have the Ridgid 3650 that will run $599.

Comment

If you absolutely must stay under that $500 budget figure you might want to start looking around for a used contractor saw. They can be hard to come by sometimes but keep your eye out for estate sales, newspaper ads, auctions and even garage sales.

I wouldn't necessarily make the miter guage a high priority item either. Not all, but many OEM miter guages are sloppy and difficult to accurately set.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

jarnhold,
          Which Craftsman TS do you have? Is it a direct drive or a belt drive contractor type? If it's at least a belt drive contractor saw, ever consider just replacing the miter gauge and fence in the mean time? Many people would probably argue you're throwing good money after bad, but I look at it like this...

Like badgerdave wrote, "Not all, but many OEM miter gauges are sloppy and difficult to accurately set."

Most of us will end up replacing the OEM miter gauge anyway. Often we'll end up replacing the fence too. If this saw is at least worth these improvements, you would be able to get better accuracy for now. Later, you'd be able to take that better miter gauge and fence to a new saw. There are some decent saws out there, but they are fitted with poor miter gauges and fences. The prices on the same saw tends to be a lot higher when a better miter gauge and fence is included.

You didn't say what blade you are using. The stock blades, especially on lower end saws, tend to perform very poorly. If haven't already, try a better blade. Freud, Dimar, Forrest, CMT are a few of the better brands. Again, this is something that you can easily move to the next saw.

[ 03-29-2005, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: DK ]

Comment

Thanks for all the good info, My current saw is a direct drive with alum. base. I really think I should go with a cast iron type of saw because of the wear from years past. The ts has never been accurate and I have tried several blades includeing frued and cmt but I have not tried any of the others you mention. I checked into the craftsman saw a prev. poster had mentioned and I liked what I had seen (our local store has this), I am not sold on Delta though. I also like the portable Ridgid saw that I seen on this web site, is this a good saw and what kind of money is HD charging for this?

Comment

The portable Ridgid runs $499 here and should be around that everywhere else. My wife bought me the Delta for $399 last week for my birthday. I think it is a great saw for the value. I can add cast iron wings and stoll be under what most other saws in this class run. If you can find one it is a good buy.
              Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jarnhold:
                I also like the portable Ridgid saw that I seen on this web site, is this a good saw and what kind of money is HD charging for this?
                The TS2400 is a good "portable" saw, but aside from portability, it won't have any advantages over a good cast iron contractor type saw, and isn't likely to last anywhere near as long. The portables are perfect for the jobsite, but IMO there's better choices in the price range for a wwing shop.

Comment

Hello. New to this board but here is my two cents. I have used many different table saws including three phase powered models in my professional career. In my home shop I used a Craftsman belt drive for over a decade and was quite happy with it. Last fall I bought a General International for $795 Canadian and am happy with it, other than the blade depth crank is too high and I had to bang my knuckles a few times before I figured it out.
                  I think this saw is pretty good value for the money.

Comment

jarnhold,

I think any of the saws that have been mentioned are great saws. I've read very good reviews from both owners and magazine reviewers about the Ridgid 2400. However, it's meant for portability. If this is strictly for your workshop, treat yourself nice this time and get a belt drive saw with an cast iron top and cast iron extension wings.

I have the Ridgid 3650 and think it's great for the money. It doesn't fit everyone's bill, but it has nearly everything I wanted. However, it's $70 more than you said you wanted to spend and doesn't typically go on sale.

The new Craftsman saws are fantastic for the money. I don't like the fences on the two lower priced models, they don't seem to move easily and look cheaply constructed, but that's just my opinion. However, all the new Craftsman "hybrid" saws have two distinct advantages over similar saws in their price range.

1-They have large cast iron trunnions that are mounted to the cabinet, not the table. This gives much less vibration and better adjustment retention. All the competitors in the same price range have small trunnions that are either cast iron or cast aluminium and are mounted to the underside of the table top.

2-They have enclosed cabinets with 4" dust ports. Yes, there are other saws that have a 4" dust port, but not for $530.

[ 03-30-2005, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: DK ]

Comment

I want to thank everyone one for their advice and it shows that this forum is truely a wood workers best tool. DK, I think I will check out the Craftsman saws from what I have been hearing, the cost vs. the quality seems that I could not go wrong. If I can afford the higher end Ridgid I might look at it also. Thanks to everyone who replied and I hope I can help out sometime with a reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X