Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jointer question

hi everyone,
    i have a 6 year old ridgid jointer jp0610. bought brand new at hd.will the
    knives sold at hd today fit my older jointer. if not can i use a sharpening tool.
    there are no nicks.they are just dull.i would perfer to sharpen them while still in the machine.it works great on pine but not on tiger maple.
    thanks

The blades for the orange ones will fit the gray ones. There are also aftermarket blades that will fit, Freud for example.
    The tools for touching up the blades while they are in the machine do not work all that well, especially if they need to be sharpened as yours seem to.
    If you are not familiar with sharpening I would suggest you get a spare set and send your current blades out to be sharpened. If you are familiar with the sharpening process I use this jig from LV to sharpen mine

Comment

jointer question

thanks wayne,
      but i do have other questions now! what do you mean by the blades for the orange ones will fit the gray ones.i did not know that freud made jointer blades never mind for ridgid.can i buy the ridgid blades at home depot?
      and how much do they run. the second set of blades is a very good idea.
      after i posted the question i went down to the shop and really looked at the blades. there are no chips in the blades, but alot of resin build up.
      again many thanks.

Comment

Orange VS Gray - I figured that at 6 years old your jointer must be painted gray, the new machines are orange, so the blades for the new machine fit the old ones. From what I hear it is hit and miss finding jointer blades at home depot. Here is the jointer blade section from the Freud catalog I believe yours is C400 or C410 just measure your blades. I would wager that even if you cleaned the resin off the blades after 6 years they are likely due for a sharpening even with minimal use.

Comment

Sears has the correct size also if you are looking to buy knives locally instead of internet.

Comment

jointer question

thanks alot guys,
            wayne i printed a copy of the freud knives section. art why sears? did craftsman do work for ridgid?

Comment

Wayne,

To date I have used Ridgid replacement blades (I am not up to sharpening yet - that may come later). Are the Freud blades better quality?
              JC

Comment

Not sure if they are better as I have not tried them but based on the fact that their router bits are better than many others I would have to say they are at least as good as OEM. I have 2 sets of delta blades that will likely last me a lifetime unless I get lazy with the metal detector

Comment

Delta?

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                  Not sure if they are better as I have not tried them but based on the fact that their router bits are better than many others I would have to say they are at least as good as OEM. I have 2 sets of delta blades that will likely last me a lifetime unless I get lazy with the metal detector
                  Wayne,

Are you using Delta blades in a Ridgid or a delta jointer?

Anybody have a list of blades that would work in a Ridgid jointer?

Frank

Comment

I have a Delta, the predecessor to the X5.

Comment

Working...
                    X