Bench Dog Router TS extension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bench Dog Router TS extension

Great set of pictures bigscore. Thank you. Couple of questions if you don't mind.
    Looks like you do your routing to the inside of the table. From the layout and the looks of things it appears to be reversible, so if you don't need the whole table for stock support you could reverse the fence and do your routing from the outside and not have to reach over the saw. Is that so?
    Was the support system prefabbed or did you bolt it all together?
    What size angle did you use?
    Do you think aluminum angle would work?
    Does the saw lifting mechanism lift everything off the floor for mobility? I find I have to reposition my saw depending on the length of my stock.

Wow very impressive installation.
    Hector

Comment

Re: Bench Dog Router TS extension

Originally posted by Hector B View Post
      Great set of pictures bigscore. Thank you. Couple of questions if you don't mind.
      Looks like you do your routing to the inside of the table. From the layout and the looks of things it appears to be reversible, so if you don't need the whole table for stock support you could reverse the fence and do your routing from the outside and not have to reach over the saw. Is that so?
      Yes Hector, the new Bench Dog Pro Max version is now made to be reversible for router fence positioning. I was doing some rather large raised panels where I needed the 50+" of support I get when setting up the router fence the way you see it in my photos.
      Was the support system prefabbed or did you bolt it all together?
      Fabricated it myself. Did some welding & then bolted it to the TS 3650.
      What size angle did you use?
      1 & 3/8"
      Do you think aluminum angle would work?
      You could always bolt it all together, but I like the rigidity of a welded frame myself. Personally, I can't weld aluminum worth a darn, but if your skills are up to the task (or you know someone who can weld aluminum), why not? I'm sure aluminum angle would be strong enough & no doubt lighter.
      Does the saw lifting mechanism lift everything off the floor for mobility? I find I have to reposition my saw depending on the length of my stock.
      I asked the exact same question of Ken M when looking over his design.

He relayed that the lift mechanism does indeed raise the entire saw, router included, though his set up did not have the Bench Dog Pro Max cast iron table, Bench Dog Pro Lift or the Porter Cable 7518, one ginormous locomotive of a router.

I can happily report the Herc-U-Lift still does it's job, even with the load I've got on it. I do find I have to slightly counter balance it & of course with all the extra weight, while not as easy to maneuver as before, it's still very manageable.
      Wow very impressive installation.
      Hector
      Thanks Hector, I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Especially the ability to reverse the positioning of the router fence.

Earlier versions of the Bench Dog Pro Max table did not have that option.

See HotDiggity's older version in the attachment below.

Nothing like having that 50+" of cast iron surface to support your routing work if & when you need it, without having to gobble up that much precious space for a dedicated routing station.
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X