No announcement yet.

New TS3650 vs. TS3612 (previous model)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TS3650 vs. TS3612 (previous model)

For those considering purchasing a TS3650, consider the following:

I had the prior model to the TS3650 called the TS3612. We lived on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and lost everything due to Hurricane Katrina including my TS3612 and decided to replace the saw with the current TS3650. Here's the PRO/CONS of the "new" TS3650 vs the previous TS3612 model

PRO:
    The saw comes packaged very neatly. Many of the bolts and parts come in blister packages.

The saw has a dust collection shroud which improves dust control over the 3612

Some might say the solid cast iron wings are an improvement over the webbed 3612- I would say they are not.

Cheaper- $550 (I paid $500 with 10% discount) vs $600 for TS3612

CON:
    Motor- The motor is now made in Tiawan (looks like something you would get at harbor freight) no way the same quality as the old Emerson USA motor.

The saw lacks the horsepower of the previous Emerson motor...The motor on the TS3650 is noticably weaker than the TS3612 (does not rip as well as the 3612)

Fence- this is NOT the same fence as the TS3612...the front and back rails are the same, but they've changed the sliding mechanism and it is no where as smooth as the 3612- what is this micro guage thing- what a waste

Base- It seems as though the gage of the metal is thinner. There is quite a bit more flex- specifically torisional- rotation of the base than the 3612

Accessories- All of the parts appear to be of inferior quality to the 3612. From the ON/OFF switch; power cord; even the bolts look to be of a cheaper grade;the 3612 came with a zero clearance insert (though thin). now I have to buy one.

The TS3650 is a cheap clone of the last good table saw Ridgid made. I am very disappointed that I spent today putting it together. To those of you that think the 3650 is a good saw, you obviously haven't used ridgid's previous saw or you have a bunch of stock in Ridgid/Home Depot.

OVERALL: CHEAP CHINESE SAW!!!

Hank

Hank, I have a feeling that the more you get to use your 3650 you'll change your opinion on some of your points.

I happen to have a 3612 and I agree with you on some of your points but I certainly don't consider the 3650 a cheap Chinese saw.

That motor may not be an equal to the Emerson but so far it doesn't appear to be all that bad either. There may have been some problems or failures with the 3650's motor but I can't recall seeing many if any reported here.

If you have your 3650 as finely tuned as you had your 3612 and your using the same blade or quality of blade and are still experiencing difficulties when you rip I'll take you at your word that the motor doesn't have as much umph as the Emerson. I've only played with an unplugged 3650 at HD so I can't say either way if one motor is more powerful than the other however they do spec out the same.

I'm not sure why you don't think the fences are the same. The fence that came with my 3612 is identical to the fence on the 3650 including the micro adjustment feature. As far as smoothness goes, it sounds to me like you may need to tweak your fence a bit. The fence on the 3650 at my local HD slides as smoothly as the one on my 3612. I know it's hard to believe but HD actually did a great job of setting up their demo 3650.

I do totally agree with you that the base on the 3650 seems to be made of a thinner gauge of steel. I'll also add the I think the same is true of the saws cabinet.

Given all that, I still feel that the 3650 is as good a contractor saw as any of them out there. When I first got my saw one of the things I enjoyed most about it the first few months I had it was tweaking this and tweaking that until I got it just right. There aren't too many tools that come out of the box perfectly setup so I'll say it again, I have a feeling that the more you get to use your 3650 your opinion of it will change.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

BadgerDave,

Well, maybe this saw will grow on me, but I will never think it is as good as the 3612.

One of the cool things about losing everything you have is you get a do over. Maybe it's that miter saw or some piece of equipment you bought when you were younger, but you get to buy all the tools you wanted from a clean slate.

I loved my TS3612, and I hoped that the TS3650 would be an upgrade with new features.

This is a poorly constructed clone of the prior saw. I will give it time and post back after some additional use.

Hank.

Comment

Does HD have a satisfaction guarantee? I'd just return it if I wasn't satisfied. There are too many good choices to settle for one you're not thrilled with.

Comment

Didn't have a 3612, so I can't compare but got to agree with you Dave on a couple of points. Just put mine new 3650 together a couple of weeks ago before I came to work. Virtually everything on this saw was dead on.
          Blade to T-Slot = .002; Did have to tweak 0 stop.
          Fence to T-Slot = .002
          T-Slot to T-Slot = .001
          After a few tweaks, could not fit a piece of copy paper under a straight edge anywhere across the table or both wings. Using OEM blade, did a couple of test rips on 6/4 oak; no problem (can't wait to get my new blade when I get home).

Couple of concerns I did have was the base twist like Hank said. Was able to remove almost all of this by adjusting the feet. I had originally adjusted these as per manual, but when a lowered the saw, I noticed that there was way too much weight still on the Hercu-lift casters. Kept adjusting feet to correct this and saw has very little twist now. Plan on boxing in part of base for better dust control, and feel like this will totally eliminate any remaining flex/twist.

Fence was initially sticking like everything was covered in Cosmoline. Made a few tweaks, waxed rails and fence. Now it will slide either way using only 1 finger.

Plan on really putting her to the test when I get home later this week. But so far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by TomP View Post
            Does HD have a satisfaction guarantee? I'd just return it if I wasn't satisfied. There are too many good choices to settle for one you're not thrilled with.

What Tom said!!

Chiz
            Later,
            Chiz
            https://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/frown.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...es/redface.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...s/rolleyes.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/smile.png

Comment

Hank ... I live up the road in Madison. I have the web wings and fence from my TS3612 if you want to buy them. Don't know if they are a direct fit to the TS3650 or not.
              Alan
              My Shop

Comment

I have a 3612 and am generally happy with it. The big sucks are the motor hanging out the back and poor dust collection.
                If there was a hurrican here and my saw needed replacing I would buy a cabinet saw. But the chances of a hurricane in California are about as likely as an honest politcian.
                www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
                  But the chances of a hurricane in California are about as likely as an honest politcian.
                  Way better chance of a hurricane.
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
                    But the chances of a hurricane in California are about as likely as an honest politcian.
                    Being from coastal NC, my recommendation is to start cutting 5/8" ply to cover your windows. Don't forget the pieces for the gable vents.
                    Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Working...
                    X