Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finish for a bar

All,

I'm building a new bar (its actually just a bar counter that’s mounted to an existing stud wall), made out of oak plywood. I'm planning on using an english walnut stain, but I need suggestions on what to protect it with.

Thanks in advance
    Jake

Do you want thick finish, or close to the wood?

The "inch thick" stuff that you see at places like Joe's Crab Shack are either epoxy or poured acrylic.

For a thin finish that's still awfully durable, our old friend oil-based poly varnish is a good choice. Once fully cured, a process that can take about a month, not much will scar it. Liquids standing for hours and hours may soak through, but I'm hoping that's not a problem.

Some of the toughest finishes today are catalyzed varnishes and lacquers. None are available for home shop use, they are incredibly toxic. Possible to take it to a Pro and have it shot, though.

Of the three, the poly/varnish is most compatible with the stain. Let the stain cure for 24-48 hours, and you're ready to go. For the epoxy or acrylic, wait for a full cure, when the stain stops smelling of oil. For the cats, I would have the finisher do the coloring.

If it were mine, poly/varnish would be the choice.

Dave

Comment

The key here is to not overlook the proper "breaking in" of the bar. This may very well be the most critical point. I recommend either Knob Creek or my current favorite, Woodford Reserve. Makers Mark will do if the others are not readily available. See me for detailed application instructions

Wood Dog

Comment

Jake,
        I'm with Wood Dog, but I'd just like ya to slide me a Lite. You may be able to use a marine polyurethane. It would be durable, longlasting, and also wouldn't cloud when subjected to moisture. I think that it is available in satin, semi, and gloss.

Comment

Working...
        X