X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitter alignment and spreader adjustment question

I am not at that point in my TS3650 installation but I had a question regarding the blade guard alignment and spreader adjustment. If I perform this step for the stock blade, does this mean I will have to repeat this step when I replace the stock blade with a thinner kerf.

Perhaps if I was at this stage maybe the answer would be clear, but just wanted to ask ahead of this step.

You shouldn't have to realign the splitter once you have it setup properly. Even when you're making non-through cuts such as dado's and have to remove the blade guard/splitter assembly it will still be aligned properly when you remount the assembly.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

My stock blade was a thin kerf blade. I can interchange it with my Freud thin kerf and have no problems. If your stock blade is a full kerf, align the splitter closer to (but slightly toward blade center from) the left edge of the blade. The shoulder on the arbor will not allow any thickness blade to go further left than the stock blade. A blade with a wider kerf set on the teeth may cut a little further left, but will also cut further to the right, so the splitter will still be behind the blade. If you use a blade stabilizer, make sure you install it on the nut side of the blade. Otherwise it will shift the blade to the right.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I aligned my blade for parallelism and squareness to the table, but with the splitter pushed all the way back on the bracket that it sits on I can't get the splitter to be square with the blade. It almost seems the splitter is not set straight on the bracket, but it is pushed all the way to its extreme.

Are there any reports of the holes for the bracket needing to be filed to allow it to be pushed back a little more.

Comment

Maybe all you need to do is put the bracket in a vise and bend it ever so slightly.

Comment

Thanks BadgerDave,

I was thinking of doing that but concerned about cracking the plastic. Anyways I'll give it a try.

Comment

Nope, that splitter is not budging. It is tough plastic and there is no bending. I can't understand why it won't line up. I checked my blade parallelism and it looks fine. I'll sleep on it.

Comment

Has Ridgid changed the material they use to make the splitter? The splitter on my saw is metal and if I'd known yours was plastic I wouldn't have suggested you try and bend it.

Comment

I stand corrected. It is metal. A casual glance at and it looked as if it was a tough very hard plastic.

By the way, can someone please take a look at the top of their splitter. There is brace that runs along the top. My has a rivet in two holes but the third one does not . Is this normal?
                  Last edited by dieselgg; 01-06-2007, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Everything is good now. I decided not to be timid and put some more muscle into the splitter and got it straight with the blade. The saw is now complete.

I guess they don't put that last rivet in so you can bend the metal ... I think.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgg View Post
                      .........By the way, can someone please take a look at the top of their splitter. There is brace that runs along the top. My has a rivet in two holes but the third one does not . Is this normal?
                      Mine also only has the two rivets.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgg View Post
                        I aligned my blade for parallelism and squareness to the table, but with the splitter pushed all the way back on the bracket that it sits on I can't get the splitter to be square with the blade. It almost seems the splitter is not set straight on the bracket, but it is pushed all the way to its extreme.

Are there any reports of the holes for the bracket needing to be filed to allow it to be pushed back a little more.
                        Two things:

1. My splitter also has 2 rivets - the front hole is empty

2. Your post jogged my memory ( which is plagued with the CRS syndrome!). When I bought mine about a year ago, I had the same problem. The front hole seemed to be the culprit if I recall correctly, but I slightly elongated both with a rat-tail file so I could get it far enough to the left. Didn't take much (less than a 64th")

Sorry I didn't remember that sooner.

Go
                        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                        X