Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw ZCI ?

Anyone use a ZCI on their bandsaw?

My old BS has a fairly good size opening in it and sometimes I'll lose a small or thin piece through it to the saw's interior where you can hear it bang around once or twice before it gets sucked up by the DC or falls into some dead spot inside the cabinet.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

I do not (and most likely could not on my current cheapy benchtop), but would be curious to know how one would make one. I suppose you could set a small insert of desired thickness in the opening opposite side of the blade and slowly lower it down with some pliers or something while the blade is on, but that seems a tad dangerous? Or perhaps I guess just mark the insert where the blade would be, cut it and then place it into the opening while the saw is off. I am now curious if others have done it. Not something I had thought of before...
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Well, thinking about it I came up with an easy way to make the blank. I took my stock insert out and out it on the copy machine and Xeroxed it, not I have a couple paper patterns. The original insert on my old Craftsman 12" BS is 0.100" thick, I have some .100" thick aluminum sheet stock so I am all set for material. There is a small indexing notch that I will have to duplicate but I can do that easily after making the blank. As you mentioned getting the slot for the blade in the right spot could be tricky. I don't need it to be true zero clearance but something less than the 3/8" wide slot that is there now would be nice.

Comment

One way to cut the slot in a new insert, if you have a fence for your bandsaw, is to adjust the fence so that the edge is at the edge of OD edge of the insert. With the existing insert installed, slide the new insert very carefully along the edge of the fence and cut the slot in the new insert.
        ================================================== ====
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Dave. I thought about trying that, but decided to just use a hacksaw. It's only a 1-1/4" long cut, and will need to be widened a bit beyond the width of the hacksaw blade to provide clearance for the set of the BS blade teeth. So that will give me a chance to tweak it if need be. That's where I am at right now. It's finished except for widening the blade slot a tad.

Besides, I don't have a metal blade for my BS at the moment. I know they make them, just don't have one. I would need to drop the blade speed to around 300 SFPM to cut metal. I wish I had bought the speed reducer kit for the saw when it was available back in 1985.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 01-04-2007, 12:26 PM. Reason: fix a typo

Comment

Any concerns with blade flex and rubbing against the insert?

Comment

Done

I finished this earlier today. Here's what I came up with. I had to wait for the camera to recharge before I could take some photos.

Above is the new insert mounted in the BS.

Close-up of the stock insert. The slot is 0.400" wide.
              That extra width is needed when the table is tilted.
              The countersunk screw hole is used when attaching
              the belt sander accessory which came with the saw.

This is a close-up of the new insert mounted in the saw and the old one
              alongside for comparison. The new insert is not a true zero clearance,
              but close to it. The slot is only 1/8" wide The hole in the center of the
              new insert is from the circle cutter I used to make the rough blank. I then
              sanded the edge down to get it smooth and round. To do this I made a
              simple jig that allowed me to rotate the blank about the center hole as I
              passed it over the sanding belt which was running at a slow speed.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 10-19-2007, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wwsmith View Post
                Any concerns with blade flex and rubbing against the insert?
                Well yeah that could be a problem for sure. Wouldn't take much to ruin a good blade. A couple seconds of contact on either side and half the teeth would lose their set, making the blade worthless. I suppose I could open the slot a bit more near the blade, and leave the section on front only an 1/8" wide. I'll have to think about it before I mount a new $23 rip blade in there.

The heck with it...I'll just go get a new bandsaw, that'll fix it up right.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  The heck with it...I'll just go get a new bandsaw, that'll fix it up right.
                  I hear the Ridgid Bandsaw is the way to go...

Comment

Hi-hi, I think not.

I am seriously looking at the new Rikon 10-325 BS though.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 01-05-2007, 01:58 PM. Reason: added URL to the new Rikon BS

Comment

If you widen the hole a bit for blade clearance(a good idea IMHO) and you are worried that the occassional small cut might fall through, you can always just stick a piece of masking tape to the bottom of the insert to close the gap temporarily.

Comment

That's a good idea Hector. No changce of damage to the blade and closes the opening to small offcut pieces. I'll have to give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                        X