X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Don't know what I am doing

OK here it goes, I am going to cut a 48"x96" oak plywood ,it is 3/4" thick. The first cut is to be, I figure 49" so I can cut that into 2 24" pieces, but my TS3650 doesn't go out that far can I do it with out the fence and still keep it straight? I thought about using my skill saw with maybe an edge guide, but then I don't have a jointer to square up the edge, and since I am making my first project which is a router table I can't use that, to do it with

Here is an idea that will save you much trouble. Call around to local lumber yards (not home centers, but rather serious lumber yards) and ask if they have both a panel sawing machine and also the sheet of plywood that you want to use. To cut a 4 x 8 foot sheet of plywood on a table saw isn't easy and takes skil even if it has table wings and a 50 inch fence. The panel sawing machine makes easy work cutting it. Just be sure the operator has his head on and measures with a good rule or tape before making the cuts. If you just want 2 pieces that are 24 x 48 and are willing to take 23-3/4 wide, those can be cut and you'll have a piece that's 4 x 4 feet (approx) left over. Ask if they have any 1/2 or 1/4 sheets for sale. Be sure to check them with a square and measure them carefully too.

Comment

Here is another idea, just use a straight edge bar, a couple of hand clamps and your skill saw. Cut them on saw horses works great for me every single time. Just remember the good side of your plywood for chipping problems.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I agree with the two previous posters. Usually my first instinct is to simply have the lumber yard cut it for you. But you really need to stress to them how important you dimension is and that it needs to be a proper square cut.

So, when that is in doubt I end up doing it myself, clamping a straight board in place and using my circular saw. If you don't feel comfortable with that, you can over size your cuts and when you have the sheet cut down to a manageable size, do the final dimension cut on your table saw.

You mentioned the dimension 49" and that you were making a router table. One thing I have learned over the years is that occasionally it is to your advantage to modify a dimension to better economize the full use of sheet goods. Obviously it's difficult or impossible to do this if it's a component of an assembly. But for something like a table top (if that's where 49" comes into play), I'd probably go for 48" so that I cut the 48 x 96 inch sheet, directly in half.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

RE: Thanks

Hey ya'all that is great I will try that. Right after I posted I found a web site< I just wrote cutting plywood sheets and they gave me a plan for a real simple jig to use with mt skill saw. I bought the wood at HD and never thought about them being bale to cu it right there on there panel saw. Live and learn thanks again for the great advice, I hope someday to be able to repay ya'all with some tips of my own for the next generaton of wood craftsmen. You all awesome so lets go cut some wood, Scott W.

Comment

Working...
          X