Woodsmith Magazine Opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodsmith Magazine Opinions

I just got a free issue of Woodsmith. I'm a newbe so I don't know yet, if I'm looking at a magazine with good accurate plans or not. They seem to be geared toward teaching techniques. From my limited perspective they don't seem to get into the alignment and securing of your materials on the different tools too much.

Any thoughts on this magazine would be helpful. Thanks

Originally posted by Hector B View Post
    I just got a free issue of Woodsmith. I'm a newbe so I don't know yet, if I'm looking at a magazine with good accurate plans or not. They seem to be geared toward teaching techniques. From my limited perspective they don't seem to get into the alignment and securing of your materials on the different tools too much.

Any thoughts on this magazine would be helpful. Thanks
    When I started woodworking, 5 years ago, I subscribed to most of the woodworking magazines. I have dropped many of them, but Woodsmith is a keeper in my opinion. It is one of my favorites.

John

Comment

I've subscribed to WoodSmith off and on for the last dozen years. I've built several projects using their plans. I'll try to answer you questions:

I don't know yet, if I'm looking at a magazine with good accurate plans or not.
      The plans are accurate. I can only remember a handful of times that a measurement was incorrect or the instructions just wrong. The articles that go with the plans are good about taking you through step by step and are generally clear.

They usually have an article on a woodworking technique then use that technique in another project in the issue. There are times that they use the technique when another method would be easier or better.

I also think the plans are good in the sense that they are well designed. I may not like the majority of the projects and have made only a fraction of them, but they have turned out well.

They seem to be geared toward teaching techniques. From my limited perspective they don't seem to get into the alignment and securing of your materials on the different tools too much.
      Yes, Woodsmith is mostly project plans and techniques. They often will have an article on tool set-up, sharpening etc., but rarely any tool reviews. It seems like these articles are watered down versions of articles from WoodSmith's sister publication ShopSmith which focuses more on these aspects of woodworking.

Also, one nice thing about WoodSmith is the ability to order the hardware from them and they give specific sources for hardware.

Overall, I think it is a good resource, especially for new woodworkers. But I don't think I would recommend it as your only woodworking magazine.

Comment

I have used Woodsmith since they started...I ran the woodshop in England for 4 years and Japan for 5 years and every project that I taught came from thier plans. They cover simple to moderate projects with a few "interesting" ones. Most of my students were able to complete the projects with very little assistance from me. I agree with CJH20...don't let it be your only magazine...they are great projects in some of the "Newstand" magazines.

Have fun with the projects...

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback.
          Hector

Comment

I got the "free" issue also and now i owe them for a year subscription hmm.... I was not overly impressed with the magizine in the first place.All it had was project after project. I wanted some tool reviews and then projects.I found a mag that has all the items i wanted in it. With what looks to be like a scam with the "free" issue of woodsmith, it has turned me off to them.I will agree that it is a good mag for beginers but look at other mags to.

Comment

The "first one free" offer is basically they ship the first issue to you and when the bill arrives you have to cancel if you do not want to continue the subscription. I think you have to do that within 30 days or something like that. If you wait until they have sent two or three issues then you are on the hook for the sub in their eyes. I think you could probably still get out of it though in some instances. Many magazines publishers do this 'Free Issue' slight-of-hand, so don't think that WoodSmith (August Home Publishing) is the only one to sucker people in like this.

"There's no free lunch." Milton Friedman US economist (1912 - )
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I'm not surprised at all. In this day and age everyone is out to get money. That is what makes the world go round. I had an "issue" with them already and my postmark on the cancel notice was 3 days overdue so I owe for a sub. The money aint gonna kill me but the fine print got me this time. No where on the website did it say " cancel within this time frame". So , i will collect a year sub and enforce to anyone new ...WATCH THE FINE PRINT! If you have any doubts call the magizine.

Comment

Working...
                X