Router bits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Router bits

Yeah... I suppose we're generally a friendly bunch up here.

Comment

Update - Router bit chip saga:

I got to thinking about why I originally decided not to pursue Amana about the chip in the carbide...

The chip is on both carbide cutters, not just one, so it does actually appear that the bit hit something. The only project I used the bit on was a shop cabinet, to put a rabbet around the drawer faces so the drawers would close tight against the cabinet face. These drawer faces were cut from 1/2" hardwood (birch) plywood, and I know all four sides of each drawer face was a fresh cut, so hitting a staple in the edge of the plywood is out (I always remove the staples anyway). I also know there was nothing metallic (nails, etc.) in the wood I routered; or I should say, nothing metallic that I put there.

When the dealer told me plywood has stuff in it that can damage bits, I had no reason to doubt him. As I said, it looks like the bit hit something, and I'm as sure as I can be that it was not a staple, nail, etc. So either (a) the dealer was right, and there is stuff in plywood that will damage bits, or (b) it wasn't the wood and was indeed operator error. If it was (a) then there's no sense in me buying expensive bits since I use plywood a lot. If it was (b), I don't know what I did wrong so there's a good chance I'll do it again. Either way, I have no incentive to buy expensive bits anymore.

I haven't had time to do it yet, but I'll probably still take this bit to the dealer, since I had the discussion with the Amana rep, and see what happens. At this point I'm just curious to hear what they'll say when they look at it.

While I'm at it, the straight bits from MLCS came last week, and I used one of them to make four slots in melamine. The cuts were smooth, and the bit still has a good edge, so there's hope.

- djb
      sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

djb

While I doubt you'll find out just want caused the chipping, it may well have been something in the plywood. My bet is it could have a tiny stone. Wild stuff gets into wood and how it got there is anyone's guess. What matters is that you didn't get hurt or suffer a big $$$ loss. If the chipping is tiny maybe Amana would grind it smooth for you if sent to them, or if the dealer values you as their customer they might just give you a new one or a super deal on one. Please let us know what comes of this. Thanks

Comment

I have some Whiteside and some Freud bits. My Whitesides bits were brand new when I used a straight bit to make dados. It burned up in less than 12 feet (1/4" depth). I had just recieved a Ryobi 1/2" shank set for Christmas from a buddy of mine. I switched to a Ryobi straight bit and it held up fine at the same depth and feed rate. It's still in great shape after another 25 feet or so of dadoing. Not as smooth a finish as the Freuds, but as smooth as the Whiteside. After that experience, I'm more likely to buy the Freuds even though the Whiteside are rated higher in the comparisons. In the end, if you want inexpensive "decent" bits, the Ryobi 1/2" isn't a bad way to go. I've used them alot to make molding with pretty decent results. The Freuds are my favorite though.
          Erngum

Comment

erngum -

I posted a link to a [controlled lab] router bit review, if you missed it, Click Me. You'll like the results. Out of 17 bits they tested, Whiteside came in 1st. Freud was 4th, MLCS was 6th. (Scroll down the page for a link to their "Router-bit scorecard" that has the results list and also pictures of the bits at the end of the test.)

Whiteside and Freud are what I would consider near high end as far as price goes, though. MLCS bits are among the mid priced bits, and I'd heard good reviews on them from other sources before I found the [somewhat scientific] review at the link above, so I decided to try them. I plan to make another shop cabinet, with a fair amount of plywood routing, so I'll see how they do then.

- djb
            sigpic

Restore the Republic.

Comment

djb,
              That's the very same review that influenced me to buy the Whiteside bits, hence my suprise and disapoinitment when I burned up the 23/32" straight bit I was using. Now my #1 rated Whitside looks like that poor Jesada in the review. But, it only left one chip... unfortunately it was in the carbide .

I ordered them from Librawood: 4-undersized plywood bits for $56.00, great price. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the other three bits in the set but I don't used the thinner plywood that often.
              Erngum

Comment

Originally posted by djb View Post
                erngum -

I posted a link to a [controlled lab] router bit review, if you missed it, Click Me. You'll like the results. Out of 17 bits they tested, Whiteside came in 1st. Freud was 4th, MLCS was 6th. (Scroll down the page for a link to their "Router-bit scorecard" that has the results list and also pictures of the bits at the end of the test.)
                At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I think it's worth noting that the FWW router bit review was done 7-8 years ago, and much has changed on the router bit scene since then. Not only has technology moved on and different manufacturers improved at different rates, but some are no longer in business, some are new, and many have changed the location and plant of manufacture since then. The important thing to note is that not all is at it was when that test was done, so I'd put even less weight on the results, though it was a well done review at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                  I think it's worth noting that the FWW router bit review was done 7-8 years ago
                  The losers should sponsor another review.
                  - djb
                  sigpic

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by djb View Post
                    The losers should sponsor another review.
                    - djb
                    .....ever wonder where these one issue magazines come from?

Comment

Working...
                    X