No announcement yet.

TS 2400 for 1st Table Saw? Accessories?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 2400 for 1st Table Saw? Accessories?

Hi all,

I'm new to the list and I want to purchase my first table saw. I have a small workspace to under a covered porch adjacent to my home, but must store my equipment and tools in a small storage shed across the yard.

Since I don't have a place to store a contactor size saw or the ability to move one from my storage space to my work area, I am looking at portable table saws for my first saw. I am primarily interested in woodworking and small hobby projects.

Is the Ridgid TS2400 a good candidate for my intended use? I like the fence and the work-n-haul-it stand that is sold with the TS2400. However, I have reservations about the moving tape measure on the TS2400's fence--is it durable and accurate with all of the movement designed into it? I have also looked at the Dewalt 744 as an alternative. I have also read about the Bosch 4000K.

What accessories should I purchase with my portable table saw to help my woodworking projects? New Blade (Forrest WWII)? Outfeed tables? Rousseau portable tool stand with outfeed and router tables? Can I just make and Outfeed table setup myself?

Thanks for any advice. I look forward to making some sawdust.

P.S. What's the best time to purchase a Ridgid tool from Home Depot? Will they discount the Ridgid power tool lineup for the holiday season? Also, should I wait until next year for the purchase to see what new improvements will be made to the TS2400?

I purchased my TS 2400 about 2 months ago with the work-n-haul. It is a great saw and will serve you well. Spend time making sure everything is square flat. Mine required some adjustment out of the box, but has kept the adjustments since then.

I would suggest you buy a forest WWII saw blade for it. The blade that comes with it is not very good quality. I have one on mine and it made a world of difference.

I would suggest making an outfeed table for it or just buying an adjustable tool stand. I bought one on clearance from Lowes with a laminate top for 29 bucks. It adjusts to the same height as my saw. As far as accessories I would get a zero clearance insert and a tenoning jig. I bought my tenoning jig from www.woodworker.com for 39.99 and it is wonderful. It is an Aluminum universal jig that is really accurate and you don't have to sand anything down. The delta is just too heavy for me and this one rotates 90 degrees for versitility. It works great on my router table too. A new miter gage is my next purchase. The stock one is not very accurate. I spend a few minutes every time I use mine to make sure it is square. Buy a good miter gage with adjustable runner and you won't regret it.

Good luck,

John

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by woodguy1000:
      I bought my tenoning jig from www.woodworker.com for 39.99 and it is wonderful. It is an Aluminum universal jig that is really accurate and you don't have to sand anything down.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John,

Are you talking about this Jig? http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/fullpr...?PARTNUM=30254

If so, it's now $60. Does it truly fit the 19MM slot of the Ridgid saws? How'd you get it so cheap?

TIA Bubba...

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Bubba Blue ]

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stoic:
        Hi all,

I'm new to the list and I want to purchase my first table saw. I have a small workspace to under a covered porch adjacent to my home, but must store my equipment and tools in a small storage shed across the yard.
        <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, that sounds like me, except I store my 2400 in my closet.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
        Is the Ridgid TS2400 a good candidate for my intended use?
        <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because of the work-n-haul-it stand, it's better than the other units. It's the fastest to set up and tear down which for me was important.

...I have reservations about the moving tape measure on the TS2400's fence--is it durable and accurate with all of the movement designed into it?
        <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine hasn't failed me yet. It's never snagged on anything and has stayed true.

What accessories should I purchase with my portable table saw to help my woodworking projects? New Blade (Forrest WWII)? Outfeed tables? Rousseau portable tool stand with outfeed and router tables? Can I just make and Outfeed table setup myself?
        <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I purchased a Freud Diablo 80T ripping blade. I'm building an outfeed table currently. I'm making it so I can swap tops and put my Band Saw, & a Router Table on it. I'll also build it to accept my next purchase... a Drill Press.

P.S. What's the best time to purchase a Ridgid tool from Home Depot? Will they discount the Ridgid power tool lineup for the holiday season? Also, should I wait until next year for the purchase to see what new improvements will be made to the TS2400?
        <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Home Depot appears to be regionally controlled so not all HD locations will have the same tools on sale, especially the Ridgids. In the San Jose, CA area for example, they rarely go on sale.

Your best bet (if you live in a large city) is to visit several HD's and find one with a decent tool corral since many locations don't have ample space to allow you to turn on the tools or extend them properly.

Additionally, most seem to have very few "Ridgid" knowledgable employee's, so finding one can be difficult and you may have to visit when that employee is available... or ask your questions here.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my saw. About the only things I would change would be the 19mm miter slot, but that's relatively minor so long as you find a place that can sell you custom cut phenolic inserts cheaply.... and finding square head bolts for the fence... Then again, you can get them from Ridgid directly.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Bubba Blue ]

Comment

Stoic,

The TS2400 is a great saw, and I can tell you that the tape on the fence is trouble free. I have yet to here one complaint lodged about it.

Jake

Comment

I went to the site that you guys are saying that the tenoning jig is $39.99. The one I saw was $59.99?? Have the peices gone up
            Semper Fi <BR>Chuck<BR>USMC 66-70

Comment

That is the jig I purchased. I just went online and searched by the product number that I found in my print catalog. The price was $39.99 just a couple of weeks ago. The catalog had it for $54.99. I must have gotten lucky on the price. It is back up to $54.99 on the web now.

As for the fit, yes it fits. The slider is actually two pieces. You just slide the moving peice over and tighten down the screws. You get a perfect fit for any machine. It really does work well. They sent mine with two hold downs and 4 pins. I figured for 40 bucks it was worth a shot. It worked out to be a great choice.

Good Luck,

John

Comment

By the way. The red Craftsman zero clearance table saw insert from the same website fits this saw perfectly. I looked at my order history to be sure I wasn't mistaken, and I did get the tenoning jig for $39.99. They have changed a lot of prices on the website. The website prices were consistantly lower just a few weeks ago. Now they match up with the print catalog.

Good luck,

John

Comment

How would the TS2400 compare to the Ryobi BT3000?

Comment

If you go with the Forrest WWII thin kerf blade, I would get a stabilizer to go with it. I use this combination blade on my saw with a stabilizer and it does give very smooth rips and cross cuts. I'm not sure what type of belt comes on this saw (I'm a Delta saw owner), but I use a link belt and it does reduce vibration.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stoic:
                      How would the TS2400 compare to the Ryobi BT3000?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't compare these two directly when I purchased my 2400 because from what I've seen at HD, the Ryobi products arent of the same caliber as the Ridgid's. Not only that, they appear to make the current crop of Craftsman power tools and if you ask any Craftsman afficionado about their current crop of tools, they'll relay misgivings after 98, which coincidentally is when Ridgid stopped making them.

Bubba

Comment

Working...
                      X