X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill bit advice...

I am looking for a new set of drill bits for general woodworking purposes. I spend plenty of time switching out my drill and screwdriver bits so I plan to go for some sort of quick change/speed lock system but I see black oxide bits, titanium bits, carbide tipped, cobalt, etc.

What kind of bit will hold up the best?
    Last edited by Doggy; 01-10-2007, 01:24 PM.
    Little River Bed and Breakfast, Peterborough NH

For woodworking, I would just get a set of titanium nitride coated or the cobalt bits. Either will last a long time. The titanium nitride will probalby be the easiest to find however.

Carbide is great, but for woodworking drill bits, my opinion is that they are wasted money unless used on a daily basis.

Regards,

Comment

The Craftsman drill bits that I have that are made to fit those quick change speed lock holders do not give me very good results due to the fact that they don't fit snuggly into the holder when locked. I have a Craftsman holder and also a DeWalt holder and the bits move around in both. I can only assume that this is the case for many if not all of these style holders and bits. I would buy the cheapest bits you can find because your results won't merit spending a lot of money for the bits.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I think there are a couple of problems with "quick change" bits. As Badger Dave pointed out, they don't fit very tightly in the holder, whether it's the quick release or magnetic type.

Secon, I think you pay a premium for these bits because of the extra cost of the hex shaft. Likewise, you get popular sizes with nothing in between.

IMHO, I think you get a broader variety and a more precision fit with standard bits. For smaller woodwork, almost any drill bit will work fine and I don't see much advantage to nitride or cobalt coatings, although they do provide better heat dissipation when drilling metal.

For anything above an 1/8-inch, I'm a fan of brad-point bits. These cut much cleaner and and are less likely to wander when working with wood. Carbide-tipped bits are available, but at a distinctive price difference.

CWS

Comment

i just bought a set at harbor freight for $5.99 and i like them tons better than the ryobi and dewalt sets that i have. i think i paid 20 bucks for the ryobi and 30 for the dewalts.

rb

Comment

Working...
          X