X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ts24ools

Does any body know what the ridged ts24ools top is made of and what is the best way to clean and protect it.

Also curious if anybody has purchased or rigged up a portable extension table for this saw.

thanks in advance. widdle.

I can't say exactly what the top is...but as memory serves it's steel. To clean, you can use a ROS with a buffing attachment. Put on a pad of synthetic steel (the green stuff like you'd use to clean a kitchen pan). Then apply a liberal coat of furniture wax (I use Johnson's furniture wax). Just make sure it does NOT contain any silicates. Buff that out with the ROS and a buffing wheel. In abscence of a ROS (I don't have one), it just takes a lot of elbow grease. It's a heck of a workout!!

There will be more posts to follow, I'm sure. These guys have an incredible amount of knowlege. Good luck!!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

VASandy

When you say "The Green Stuff" do you mean a "Scotch Bright Pad"? Aren't they great?
      Last edited by Woussko; 01-12-2007, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the TS2400 has a cast aluminum top. Don't use anything too aggressive or you will dish out the surface. As for cleaning stains, a metal polish rated for use on aluminum will work. Do not use anything alkaline on it (i.e. greased lightning, draino, etc) as it will destroy the aluminum. To be safe, check to see if there is cleaning directions in the owner's manual. The paste wax is a good protectorant that will slick up the surface.

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies.

Comment

Just as a follow-on question...I've been using naptha to clean the surface of my tools (some are aluminum, some are cast iron) before I wax them. While I still have a few light stains on the cast iron surfaces, it seems to work well on the aluminum. Is there something better to use to clean the cast iron? Am I damaging the aluminum using naptha?

Comment

Naptha does not damage the aluminum. It was one of the preferred pre-paint wipedown solvents we used on aircraft aluminum skins) before the EPA lowered the allowable VOC (volatile organic chemical) emission standards. Naptha is a byproduct of gasoline production. Denatured Alcohol (DNA) and Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) (industrial type, not the water-diluted stuff you buy at the pharmacy) are EPA exempt (meaning they do not contribute to ozone damaging polution) solvents and the most widely used now. They do a good job, but naptha is better for dissolving wax (especially paraffin based), glues (like masking tape residue), and petroleum-based oils/greases.
              As for the cast iron, I'm not sure what you mean by "light stains". The trick with a wipe-down is to wet the surface with one rag and wipe off the solvent before it dries with a clean rag. Otherwise all you are doing is diluting the contaminant you are trying to wipe off and spreading it all over the surface. With a high volatile like acetone, this is virtually impossible because it dries too fast. Naptha is relatively slow at evaporating, but can be rapid in a warm area. You may want to do a smaller area at a time.
              If you are wiping the cast iron after using an abrasive on it (fine sandpaper or abrasive mats), it may take several wipes. Cast iron has a high carbon content, and produces a very fine black dust when sanded. These fine particles of carbon are very hard to clean up. If you get it on you hands you will notice they are so fine they seem to penetrate into the skin and are very hard to wash off.

Go

Comment

Thanks, Gofor! The light stains are probably flash rust. They look like fingerprints. There's only a couple of them here and there. Probably happened when I first got the table saw (3650), before I treated the surface. They don't appear to be getting any worse, and there's no new ones. I now clean and re-wax the top monthly, so I guess I'm ok there. I don't mind the small prints that are there. If anyone steals it, I can prove it's mine!!! Once I get a ROS, maybe a scotch bright pad on it will get those spots out.

wait...did I just come up with an excuse for a new tool?!?!?!?!?!

Comment

Works for me!!

Go

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                    ..wait...did I just come up with an excuse for a new tool?!?!?!?!?!
                    I'd wait a bit before buying a new ROS. Word on the street is that RIDGID is coming out with a new ROS/Jobsite Radio combo tool.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

My all time favorate finishing sander that has a long track record. I like that it uses 1/4 sheets that are less $$$ than round discs. It's an orbital, but not a random orbit. This does require a little more from the operator, but then this tool fillows the KISS rules. Get one and fall in love.

http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2779

Comment

"RIDGID is coming out with a new ROS/Jobsite Radio combo tool."

Oh, I can hardly wait It's a wonder they didn't spring it at CES in Vegas, being as Ridgid is always on the bleeding edge of technology when it comes to jobsite radios
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob

I'm ROTF-LMAO That is one great posting.

Comment

Working...
                          X