X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dust control

I recently purchased a TS2400LS which I'm really enjoying {my first TS} I have a shop vac connected to the dust collection port, but I still have alot of saw dust dropping underneath the saw and blowing out the slots for the bevel and height adjustment. Can anyone suggest a solution? I work in my one car garage and the dust is becoming a hugh problem! Thanks in advance!

One thing that could well be happening is the filter on the shop vac is getting clogged (and quickly). With a TS, you're trying to suck up a LOT of material. One thing you could use is a "separator" like this one at Rockler http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1515
    The separator attaches to a trash can (Large Dust Collection Separator) or bucket (Mini separator). You have to purchase an extra length of hose, but that's not hard to find nor expensive. You attach the one side of the separator to the tool, the other side to the vac. The worst of the dust and big stuff goes into the trash can, and you won't plug up the filter near as quick.

Another thing might well be there's just too much open space. One thing a lot of people do is to try to close in the area under the saw as much as possible. The 2400 seems pretty well closed in already, however.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

There is another thing some of us might want to look into, but it can get a bit high in cost and you have to have your thinking cap on when working out the details. As it's been said many times before "A picture tells 1000 words" so here are some links and some pictures. I hope they are helpful. Feel free to ask questions.

If your table saw is in your garage and is on a mobile base, take it outside if you have any large jobs. You can use a small leaf blower and blow the dust off and out of your saw. Just make sure you blow it away from the doors. I like what Sandy has posted and if you hunt around, I know they make similar ones, but all metal to fit on a de-headed 55 gallon drum. Please see picture file. This is a kit machine. Motor-fan assembly, head, external filter bag, drum, and wheel base.

This is not to high in $ and is portable. http://www.shopvac.com/vacs/detail.a...rview&StoreID=

The picture is of a better made one, but it costs a good bit more.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Woussko; 01-13-2007, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Re: dust control

Here's a separator that fits on a 5 gallon bucket at $8.
        http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=9586
        I think that Sandy hit the nail on the head, though. You shouldn't be getting that kind of dust escape from your blade shroud. Clean out the filter reeeealy well and do some test cuts. Still not good, borrow someone else's shop vac and see if maybe yours is anemic - bot of these suggestions before jumping into a separator. I don't use one on my Ridgid shop vac attached to my 3650 and the dust escape was pretty small even before I closed in the bottom and back.
        Later,
        Chiz

Comment

I have a HB about 10 min from me. I think i will give the seperator a try .I have many 5 gl buckets colleting dust as it is now lol. I will try this only because Sandy says i dont clean my panty hose on the filter enough. tooshay Sandy LOL

Comment

I'm just getting [re]started in woodworking, and use my garage as a shop for now. I've been using a 16-gal Ridgid Wet/Dry vac for dust collection, but the filter clogs fairly fast. I'm thinking panty hose on the filter might be a good idea; although it may not make the filter cleaning intervals any longer, it would make the cleaning time a lot faster. I'm gonna try it.

For collecting saw dust from a table saw, router, band saw, and similar woodworking tools, I don't see how one of these dust collection separators that fit on a 5-gal bucket or 20-gal drum can separate the dust that is generated by these most common wood shop tools. Large chips, yes, but do they really separate fine dust?

I've looked at air filtration units like these, does anyone have any experience with them? They're designed to remove suspended dust in the air that has escaped the dust collection system attached to the tools. I've read they can clear the air in a matter of minutes, which would really help prevent (eliminate?) the dust coating everything gets in the garage, not to mention the dust coating my lungs get. It sounds good, but do they live up to the ads? And do they clog fast? I wonder how often, or how difficult, filter changes/cleanings are for these air purification units.

- djb
            sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Hi there, djb!
              I tried the hose over the filter and didn't find it to be helpful, but others felt differently about it. At least it would be a cheap experiment. You're right separators. They are designed to protect by collecting the big stuff, not fine dust. I'm having router problems so I'm having trouble connencting and cant see you filtration device but they are excellent. I believe that I recently read a lengthy thread on another site where they discussed tests on several of these and compared them to a large box fan which had one fine micron filter and one standared fiberglass filter sandwiched together on the intake side of the box. They stated that it did a surprisingly good job. That's what I've been using for a couple of months but I need to connect it to a timer so that it continues to run after I leave the shop so that it does a much better job getting the disturbed air cleaned.
              HTH,
              Chiz
              Later,
              Chiz

Comment

I Built My Own Out 3/4 Ply And A Squirrel Cage. I Like This Because I Could Get A Lot More C.f.m. For The Money On The Squirrel Cage And Spend The Bucks On A Metal Box, And Electrnoics. I Guess You Could Always Put In A Socket With A Timer If U Needed That Function. I Use 4 16 X 20 Filters Of Variying Degrees Of Fineness Starting With The Coarsest To The Finest From Outside In. I Will Run It For As Long As 3 Hours After I Am Finished In The Shop. Also When I Am Ready To Leave My Shop I Blow Everything Off With Compressed Air And Allow The Air To Be Filtered. I Have A Very Small Shop Only 12 X 16. I Would Be Glad To Get You More Info If You Would Like

Drdeachef

W.a.l.s.t.i.b.

Comment

Check this, the 2400ls has a enclosed blade panal under the table with restrictor slots so large material does not shoot out the dust port, but it plugs very easy and the dust looks for another way out, usually back at the operator, so check and clean this out regulary. I am considering removing one or two of the restrictor slots so dust and material can flow out the dust port easier.

Comment

Working...
                  X