Router Table - Portable or TS mount?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Table - Portable or TS mount?

Hello everyone, I need your opinions on which to purchase. First off, I have the Ridgid 3612 saw (love it) and do woodworking as a hobby. I was looking at the Benchdog 40-001 benchtop model for $199 or the Mulecab saw mount with fence for about $10 more. I'd like to stay around the $200 range. Is there alot more advantages to one than the other? Your opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks

I bought a portable table and will make a cabinet for it this year out of the scrap i have in shop now. Hope that gives ya ideas...

Comment

If you mount your router in a tablesaw extension, you will not be able to use them both at the same time. I am not organised enough to do all my tablesawing at once and then all my routing at once. I could never put up with having to repeatedly set up one tool and then the other. The other thing about having a router hanging from the tablesaw is that it isn't easy to control dust from the router since it isn't enclosed (usually).

Comment

I put an extension wing in my TS for a router - i have a small shop and needed to save the space. I made it for about 20.00 - much cheaper than commercial versions and i think it would be tough to find a neater fit. Do a search for "TS router table wing" and you'll get the right threads with pics.

Shipsax and other have lots of great pics posted.

Comment

I thought about the table saw mounted router but decided to scavange around and build a seperate table. I use a pair of Porter Cable 3hp 5speed routers for making doors, stlyes and rails. I hated the set up time so I decided to squeeze in two of them and a Delta power feed (real time saver! and cheap too.)
          The power feed is for running the edges. Seperate vacuum holes makes switching back and forth a breeze too.

I used some old maple butcher block I had from a top I made years ago but did not use. The rest is just scrap 3/4" ply from the pile. Fences are scrape maple from a job too. It's easliy movable and goes in the storage area out of the way when not in use.

Mark
          Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

this is what i did with my 3650. i like the extra room it gives me and i use the ts fence with my router table. i have a freud 1700 router in it and it makes it easy to lower the bit in case i have to use the saw.

rbName:  a6d5ebc0829a7dbafc737888802d7d9f.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  52.7 KB
            Last edited by rocky brown; 01-16-2007, 10:30 PM. Reason: added photo

Comment

Re: Router Table - Portable or TS mount?

Thanks for all the great ideas. I like the dual router design table, very nice. I decided to go with the Bench Dog portable table, this looks like a very solid setup. I recieved the package the other day and started to assemble the table when I noticed a small hairline crack in the laminate top from the rear slot to the outside edge. I immediately called them and they are sending a replacement top out right away - no questions asked. This is what seems to be a very good company with great customer service. Thanks for everyone's input on this topic.

Comment

Working...
              X