Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Tenoning Jig Questions

Greetings to all,

Short time lurker, first time poster.

I just purchased a TS3650 and am well on my way to making way more sawdust than I probably should. My project list contains a great deal of Mortise and Tenon joinery in the mission style. I'd prefer to cut the tenons on the table saw, and as such am looking for a suitable jig. I'd rather invest in a decent precision jig than make one myself. I've read a number of posts on the subject, but few I found were current. Many cited problems with t-slot size versus "standard" as well as T-slot location from the blade making for a poor relationship with the jig as originally manufactured.

Can anyone suggest a decent jig that will work well with the TS3650 right out of the box? I have access to plenty of machine tools that will allow modifications, but would rather not have to rework a brand new tool.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

- Rob (from Hoosierville)

I have the one from delta,

http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=139&p=2399

It works great and can be bought at lowes. You will have to make a change to it when assembling it. It comes set up for a right tilt saw and you have to change it for a left tilt, but this only takes a few minutes.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Thanks for the response. Any issues with the T-Bar slot size or distance from the blade?

Comment

None as I said works great.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Tenoning Jigs

I have the Woodcraft Tenoning jig and it also works fine.

If you are asking about side-to-side play in the in the guide bar, it can be adjusted to fit the width of the miter slot of your saw. If you are asking if the T-slot washer fits well in the miter slot, I don't know (I have a TS2424).

I'm also a little unclear about your concern with the distance from the blade. The tenoning jig is adjustable to the distance you need, although I can not adjust my stop to prevent the jig from being moved to a distance where I could potentially hit the blade. I don't plan on setting the jig to this distance.

Like TOD, mine needed to be adjusted for a left tilt saw. It took a couple of hours to unassembled, clean the packing grease, put back together and make the necessary adjustments.

There was a short article in American Woodworker last September on tenoning jigs. Basically it said they were all just about the same.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Re: TS3650 Tenoning Jig Questions

A couple of weeks before Christmas I purchased a tenoning jig from Woodcraft. I don't recall the brand, but it appears identical to the photo of Delta's 34-183. Delta is currently $109 at Amazon, and the one I purchased at Woodcraft was on sale for $59. I believe the regular price is $20 more. I was making a reproduction pie safe with lots of tenons, and it worked very well for me once I got the initial set-up adjusted.

Comment

I also bought a tenoning jig from Woodcraft for my 3650 but I had a terrible time setting it up. In desparation I called the help line and was told that with the 3650, because of the distance between the blade and left hand miter slot, there is no need to change the position of the jig on the guide. So I changed it back to where it was originally. I was also told that the pointer would not work - it doesn't. In addition, I had to mount a 3/4" piece of stock to the face plate in order to be able to cut the tenons. Once set up the thing works well and I am happy to have my fingers farther away from the spinning blade than they were with my shop made jig. However I am not so certain it is appreciably faster than a router table set up and with the router table set up I can 'fine tune' the tenon far more precisely.

I have a problem cutting through mortises, the type that can be seen all along the top of the door through the stile. My hollow chisel mortiser - Steel City- spreads the two sides and the cut is ragged. I have to clean it up with a chisel but then the mortis is too wide. I suppose I will have to continue to cut them on my 3650.

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies. Tom W touches on some of the issues I've read about. If the Delta works like it should right out of the box (with adjustments for left hand tilt) and the Woodcraft requires refacing the jig and abandoning the gauge pointer, then the extra few bucks for the Delta is worth it to me. I've read that he handles on the Delta are better positioned as well.

I'm in the process of putting together a router table setup as well so I'll weigh that against the jig before I pull the trigger on anything.

Thanks again

Comment

Tom W---

I read an article that said when cutting through mortises to minimize chipping on the backside to backup your work with a piece of scrap wood. I haven't tried it myself yet.

Hector...

Comment

Working...
                  X