New saw at home!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New saw at home!

Ok, I am setting up my new 3650 and i'm trying to get my extensions level with the table. I've tried a c-clamp and I still have the slightest deviation. Does it matter that much? Does it need to be dead on level with the table?

Re: New saw at home!

You really need to get it as level as you possibly can. If you don't, you run the risk of your stock wobbling as you make your cuts which will cause them to be off. If you can enlist someone to help you with the setup it would be fairly easy to get the extension level.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I agree on the helper issue. I had a friend over and a level set on the table top. Took about 3 minutes each side that way.Grats on new saw!

Comment

Ok, I think I got it about as flat as possible. I can barely feel the seam with my eyes closed. I guess the real test will be the first cut. Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Getting the 'seam' where the two pieces meet flush is half the battle, make sure the top surface of both the table and the wings are coplanar. Lay a known good straight edge across the table and a wing and see if you have any gap at the wing edge furthest from the table which would indicate the wing sags or droops a bit. I have a little in mine (0.010") which I got out by shimming the joint between the left wing and table with some SS shim stock.

It was just enough that when cutting pieces long enough that most of their weight was on the wing surface it would take the piece out of square by just a fraction of a degree, just enough to be a PITA.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Thanks Bob, that is good advice. I'll check that tonight.

Comment

Working...
            X