X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to woodworking

I've been working on cars & trucks almost all my life (51 years) and will continue to do so. But I have been buying up woodworking tools for the past 5 years and I'm ready to get started on a new hobby. My 1st grandchild is due in March and I will be building a cradle as a family heirloom. Within a week or so I will be purchasing the TS3650. I 've read alot of good things about that saw.
    I'm glad I found this site, but there is so much to learn about woodworking...I don't know where to start. Anyway, I'm sure I will be posting many questions for you experts out there to help me on.

Thanks, Bob

Re: New to woodworking

Welcome to the forums, Botietruck! There's some people here with a tremendous amount of knowlege and experience, and they like to share. I hope you'll share your progress with us as you go forward. Every once in a while....a question on a car or truck might come up, too.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Howdy and welcome. I used to wrench also but woodworking is waayy less stressfull LOL.

Comment

Welcome. I'm another who used to turn wrenches as a hobby. I still have some work to do on a '71 Corvette, once that's done no more knuckle bashing. Now I have to watch how close my fingers are to the blade. Anyway, keep on postin.
        If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Welcome aboard B. I know you'll really like the 3650. I've had mine since March '06. It's amazing the amount of confidence having a quality tool gave me as a novice woodworker. It makes you try projects just for the challenge, and when you have a goal, like your crib you can get really focused and shoot for perfection. Exhilarating!!!

There's a couple of things you'll need to know and this is the place to come for it. Here's a little document that I saved, called "Lowering the Odds-Tablesaw Safety".
          d1d6967c9d23e182493e1c914c63607d.zip

Enjoy,
          Hector...

Comment

Welcome Botietruck. Sounds like your jumping into your "new hobby" both feet first. Lots of good advice on this forum and good luck with the cradle. Post us some picks when done.
            Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Welcome Botietruck,

Enjoy the forum and the new hobby. I hope both will be rewarding to you. There's a great bunch of people on here and I've learned a lot from their friendly advice. Don't hesitate to post.

CWS

Comment

Thanks guys for all the encouragement! I'm really looking forward to this new venture.
                Thanks Hector B for the table saw safety link!
                Can't wait to get my TS3650...I've been to Home Depot so many time that they know me by my first name...LOL. Man, I love that place!!
                Does Ridgid ever offer promotionals on their large tools? Such as purchase the saw and get another free Ridgid product??
                Any rebates??

Comment

Botietruck

Keep checking around this forum as there has been postings about members wanting special deals like rebates and such. Personally, I would like for HD to lower the prices more and not have to bother with sending in rebate forms.

Comment

Botietruck,

Welcome aboard. I think you've made a great choice in the 3650. I have the TS2400, and have used my buddy's 3650 on several occasions...it's such a great deal. the fence, the table top, the motor...great saw.

I love my TS2400, but I see a 3650 in my not-so distant future

As for deals, they are abound, you just have to be patient or extremely creative. I know the 360 was on sale for $499 in the past 6 mos. or so, and several people picked one up for $450 after the %10 movers coupon.

I would at least get the movers coupon via the hd website. just remember to register your Ridgid tools for the lifetime service agreement.

best of luck

Comment

Keep checking the Home Depot web site. They will run a sale on line and you may be able to get the store to honor it. I recently got the Ridgid jointer for the online sale price of $319.20 as opposed to the store price of $399.

Comment

Working...
                      X