X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Fourm - Questions

Hello All, first post, just a couple of questions. I am in the process of prepairing for retirement (couple of years) and hope to build furniture when I get there. Setting up a small shop as I can up-grade my equipment.

Have pruchased the TS 3650 and the TP1300LS (still in the boxes in the trailer). I am trying to get major machines purchased while can still get the lifetime warrenty.

I am seriously looking at the Grizzly G0555 14" bandsaw in lue of the Ridgid BS 1400. The Grizzly comes with a rip fence and miter gage ($100 extra at Ridgid) as well as ball bearing blade guides (but, no lifetime warrenty, all for $375.

I am also looking at the Grizzly G1182Z, 6" Jointer instead of the Ridgid JP0610. The Grizzly is on sale now for $325.

I am still open on the drill press and really don't know which way to go right now. Delta has a variable speed for +/- $200 that looks pretty good??

If anyone has any comments or suggestions I would certainly like to read them.

Thanks, I have been reading the forum, off and on, for about a month now.
    see ya \'round the bend

Okie,
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your pending retirement. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I retired almost a year ago and I love it. Retiring is the best thing I ever did, except for marrying the LOML (32 yrs and counting). [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Do you plan on checking out your saw and planer before the 90 return period expires?
    I've heard some good things about the grizzly bandsaw and jointer, but have also heard that the shipping is really high.
    Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here more than willing to help.
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

LORAX, thanks for the reply. Yes, I hope to get the machines together and checked out before the 90 days expires.

I live close enough to Springfield to pick up the machines should I decide to go that way.

I think my problem is doing to much "research" in order to make that "right decision."
      see ya \'round the bend

Comment

Keep in mind that TS miter gauges are typically poor quality, inaccurate, and were probably an afterthought as they were packing up the box. That said, I don't see how one for a BS could be any better, and therefore, worth the money. Also, my miter gauge fits in both tools tracks. Obviously I am saying not to let that influence you

The fence is NICE though. I haven't seen it in person, but if it has sufficient adjustments for drift then that's a $75 savings. That makes it a tough decision. But, on the other hand, the Ridgid still has the lifetime warranty. Hmmmm. Tough call.

Either way, I think you'll be happy. I'd go for the one with the lifetime warranty if you plan on doing this for a long time.
        Marcus

Comment

The Griz BS has been getting raves since it's introduction about a year ago. The Griz 1182 jointer is a solid well proven machine, that has ranked first in at least two magazine reviews over the years.

Grizzly's s/h is among the lowest of any mail order company that charges s/h. They'll charge about $55 typically, and sometimes will run a sale price of $40.

Comment

Okie

Welcome to the forum, there are lots of knowledgeable woodworkers here that should be able to provide you with your desired feedback. I too felt that the Grizzly G0555 offered superior value compared to the Ridgid, so I bought it last spring and have been very satisfied with it. I have owned the JP6010 for over a year and my only complaint with it was the low height of the working surface, I found it uncomfortable and that was eliminated when I built a mobile stand that elevated it by approximately 6”. Last month I was all set to order a Grizzly Drill Press when HD had their big power tool promotion, I was able to buy the Ridgid for $180, which was too good of a deal to pass up. I had concerns that the 1/2 horse motor was underpowered but I just bought a new set of Forstner bits and it drilled 2 and 1/4 inch holes no problem, it is smooth and quiet.

Congratulations of your retirement and enjoy your furniture making.

Woodslayer

Comment

Working...
            X