Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I didn't think of it, but I thought of stealing it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't think of it, but I thought of stealing it.

One of my helpers a few years ago had a ryobi 18v drill/driver. It had a little magnetic pad on the top of the base where you can stick some extra screws for easy access when working in tight spaces or on a ladder or holding something over head etc. I always thought that other companies would follow suit, not that it matters, I am still running my 14.4v dewalt that I had back then. My point is I found some very 1/32" thick rare earth magnets on ebay that I glued to the same big useless space on my dewalt and voila! It helps more than I thought it would. Try it!
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Re: I didn't think of it, but I thought of stealing it.

What a great idea! Those little magnets are really somethin else, aren't they?
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Great idea woodenstickers. It does make one wonder why all the tool companies haven't added them to their tools. I guess maybe they want us to do it and have a little fun.

Comment

Electric motors work via electromagnetism...any overlap between the fields of the motor and the handy screw-holding magnet could throw the motor off-balance, maybe shortening the life of your drill. Rare earth magnets would make it worse. If possible, stick the magnet as far away from the motor as possible, like where the battery connects.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightgar View Post
          Electric motors work via electromagnetism...any overlap between the fields of the motor and the handy screw-holding magnet could throw the motor off-balance, maybe shortening the life of your drill. Rare earth magnets would make it worse. If possible, stick the magnet as far away from the motor as possible, like where the battery connects.

I wondered about that too, but they are glued right where you suggests--on top of the base where the battery connects. These guys are pretty little too, they will hold screws but not anything much bigger (like a 7/32 drill bit apparently) so I am hoping I'm safe. It will be hard to tell at this point if the magnets are the culprit when my drill quits because I have driven thousands and thousands of 2 1/2 self tapping screws into studs over the last four years with it, but I will let everybody know if it quits on me and I have to buy a brand new impact driver
          Thanks for the warning.
          A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Working...
          X