Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust collector attachment to smaller dust ports?

I have a ridgid TS2400, a ridgid miter saw and a Craftsman 12” band saw. All of these have the standard same-size dust port (I think its 2.5 inches). I was close to deciding on a Delta Model 50-760 with a one-micron bag and a down-sizing coupler arrangement to replace my small shop-vac.

Recently, as I continued to research, I read that larger hosed system like the delta would be ineffective when restricted by the smaller diameter of my dust outlets (something about the difference between velocity and pressure between the smaller vacs and larger dust collectors)

Is this something to consider, or will the Delta pull through the downsize coupling without any problem?

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I’ve already made an air cleaner with a box fan and furnace filter that seems to work OK.

Re: Dust collector attachment to smaller dust ports?

Originally posted by Mark549 View Post
    I have a ridgid TS2400, a ridgid miter saw and a Craftsman 12” band saw. All of these have the standard same-size dust port (I think its 2.5 inches). I was close to deciding on a Delta Model 50-760 with a one-micron bag and a down-sizing coupler arrangement to replace my small shop-vac.

Recently, as I continued to research, I read that larger hosed system like the delta would be ineffective when restricted by the smaller diameter of my dust outlets (something about the difference between velocity and pressure between the smaller vacs and larger dust collectors)

Is this something to consider, or will the Delta pull through the downsize coupling without any problem?

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I’ve already made an air cleaner with a box fan and furnace filter that seems to work OK.
    I have a 5" hose hooked to my DC. When I tried going from a 5" hose to a
    2.5" it hardly pulled any air. I have the 3650. I enclosed the bottom of the saw and draw the dust using the 5" hose. I don't know if that is possible with your saw. With the BS and other tools you may look to see if there is anyway to modify the dust port. I have the Ridgid jointer and made my own 5" dust port instead of the 4" that is standard.

Also if you haven't check out Bill Pentz's site go here: http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm
    Last edited by MrZ; 01-24-2007, 04:35 PM. Reason: add web site

Comment

Which BS do you have? Is it an older one that looks similar to this ?

you can see I added a second 2.5" port to mine and then brought them together behind the saw where they both feed into a 4" wye. The 4" hose from my DC is then connected at this point. Before I added the second port I had the same problem you speak of with my BS. This made a big difference and was cheap and easy to do. Only took about an hour to add the second port and hose.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Yes, Bob D., I have an older band saw like yours (got it about 20 years ago and I see how I could easily add a second port. The table saw would be more difficult I guess and the Miter saw would a challange, too.

I guess I might need to look at a more robust (hopefully quieter) shop-vac for a match for my present equipment. I'm just a hobby/small job woodworker who is mainly trying to teach my 14 yoa son some skills.

Comment

Working...
        X