X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Planer end snipe

I'm new to woodworking and borrowed dad's Ridgid 13" planer. I spend 8 hours planing wood to build kitchen cabinets. I didn't notice until I started making the raised door panel and putting them through the planer that the last 3 to 4 inches of the board is about 1/8 deeper then the rest of the board. The beginning is fine just the end. I leveled the infeed and out eed fence and no difference. Could it be the that one of the feed rollers is bad? Any suggestions what to try. Thanks, Jim

p.s. I don't know if the wood makes a difference but I'm using red oak.

Re: Ridgid Planer end snipe

I've read where some advise slightly raising up the outer edges of the infeed and outfeed tables helps to reduce snipe.

One other thing, are you only running the boards through the planer once for each side? If so, try making multiple passes taking smaller amounts off instead of one big chunk at a time.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

How long were the boards that you were running. It could be that the ends were not supported all the way through the cut letting the board "raise up" inside the planer, causing it to cut to much into the board. Make sure you have good infeed and outfeed support all the way through, especially on longer boards.

Comment

I was going to echo what dlgdoo said. I noticed the same thing happening on some long boards I was plaining. I re-set the infeed and outfeed tables (it's a Dewalt plainer) a little high at the ends, and added supports on the infeed and outfeed sides. I don't have enough roller stands, though, so I was only able to get the snipe down to the last 1" or so. It sure did make a difference, though. I only lifted the ends of the tables by a tiny bit, maybe 1/16" if that. Just enough to float the bubble on the level a tiny bit out of level flat.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          I've read where some advise slightly raising up the outer edges of the infeed and outfeed tables helps to reduce snipe.

One other thing, are you only running the boards through the planer once for each side? If so, try making multiple passes taking smaller amounts off instead of one big chunk at a time.
          Raising the outer edges of the infeed and outfeed tables worked for me. I have a 13" Delta. I actually leveled them out at one time and the snipe appeared. I put them back to the original settings (slightly raised) and it got rid of the snipe. It looks like when the load of the wood is put on them, they flatten out.

As mentioned eearlier, making sure the wood is supported as it comes through is important also. If the board is long I like to lift just slightly on the end to keep it from rising up inside the planer.

FSK

Comment

Thanks you guys for the quick response. I will try raising the infeed and outfeed tables. Have ski patrol tonight will try tomorrow night. I appreciate all your help.
            Jim

Comment

VASandy, I have a tip for you for an infeed or outfeed support. If you have a portable workmate, a little clamping table, you can use it. Just build a "T" shape support so you can adjust the height. I use mine for my table saw and jointer both. If you would like to know how to make one let me know. I got the idea from some woodworking mag, but I don't recall which one.

Comment

you should also have your boards a little longer then the actual length that you need, for problems such as your having, and many others. I've dropped boards, I've had chipping problems, ect. With out a doubt support both ends. Even with a table sander, which by the way is great to have when building cabinets, in fact I'm trying to decide which brand to buy right now. I'm in need of one, so I can build some cabinets too. If anybody would like to help me decide from experience that would be fantastic. My last one was a jet, it was good but thats the only one I ever used.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thanks, Dlgdoo. I think I see what you're getting at. I was going to make some stands up. My "portable" workmate is currently employed holding up the Ridgid sander...I think I need to make a station for that first! To be honest, though, the workmate should be in a museum. I think it's one of the oldest ones they made, as it was a hand-me-down from my Dad!

Garager, are you talking about what I've been calling Drum Sanders? I'm in the market for one, too. Never used one, but I can see how they'd be really handy for final plaining. I've got some real hard maple boards that I just can't run through a thickness plainer with blades because the grain is so screwy. So far, I've been leaning towards The Performax line. If anyone has ideas on these, I'd like to hear too!
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

One other suggestion for snipe, run your boards thru at a slight sngle and confine the snipe to a small corner of the end. I have a Ridgid 13" planner, by doing this and raising the infeed/out feed tables helped eliminate almost all noticible snipe.
                    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Yes VASandy, their the same thing. Me personally I could not go less than 18" wide, 24" is so much better though. You can send the entire cabinet door through and all your joint would be perfectly smooth. Or you can send 1/2 of your table top through, great to have, mine broke time for a new one, just don't know which brand this time..
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Short pieces are more prone to snipe than longer ones. You can run pieces through end to end to reduce snipe.

Comment

Hi Y'all:

Regarding snipe: A simple approach that I use is to generate a couple of sacrificial pieces of material that both proceed and follow the piece(s) I am planing. That way, the snipe happens on them. I strongly suspect that you all have pieces lying around your shop that could do the same thing!
                          "Dad, E means empty, NOT broken" - my cousin Doug, to his dad after the tractor ran out of diesel and Ed claimed the gas gauge was broken.

Comment

Just read in a woodworking book about a suggestion to avoid end snipe. Have not tried it yet, but here it is.

Start a scrap piece of wood through the planner with the good piece following it immediately (end to end) then as the good piece is finishing it's run follow it up with another scrap (end to end) the "snipe" should only appear on the scraps.

I think the snipe is not only due to lack of suppor, but due to only one set (infeed or outfeed) rollers engaging the wood causing the blades to be slightlyy lower then when both sets of feed rollers are engaged.

Comment

that is good advice and now that you say it i think i have heard it before
                              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
                              X