X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is epoxy OK?

OK, I really made a horrible mess of my first attempt at M&T joints. This is on a shoe rack that uses a raised panel on each end so I had 8 attempts to make this right. Unfortunately, I made my mortises with my old Shopsmith and my new mortising attachment. The darn aluminum table flexed so much that I got a twist in the mortise. Even with support from below I got torque so I finished the best ones with a bradpoint drill and a chisel.
    So, my question is, 'Can I use a two part epoxy compound in this joint to make up for my poor workmanship without having any negative effect? The wood is American Cherry. (Geez, this is embarrasing!!!)
    Later,
    Chiz
    Later,
    Chiz

Re: Is epoxy OK?

Hey Chiz!

I've used Epoxy putty before. It's messy, but it does make the joint look better. As long as you don't glue in the twist when you put it together, you'll be ok. In other words, don't let the twist in the tennon or mortise twist the attaching piece. I hope that makes sense.....
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Yes, Sandy, it makes perfect sense. I'll be gluing this up on my TS table to tatke advantage of the flatness that this requires. I was afraid that the curing of the epoxy might discolor the wood or some such thing.
      Thanks,
      Chiz
      Later,
      Chiz

Comment

The epoxy should fill whatever gaps you have. It's actually quite good for MT joints. Just make sure you have epoxy that gives you enough set time.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Epoxy or you could use Poly glue, like gorrila, dampen the wood and it will expand to fill any voids in the joint.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I thought of Gorilla too, Dan, but was told that it was a great face to face glue but in the voids it would not be strong. In other words, it's more adhesive than cohesive. I hae no clue and it might be an academic point for this an application.

Thanks - still making up my mind between the two,
            Chiz
            Later,
            Chiz

Comment

In some instances I've used gorilla glue for the adhesive, then I'll fill the voids with either home-made filler (sawdust + yellow glue), or the epoxy putty. The putty I use is a two-parter that you mix. Incredibly strong. You don't want to get it where you don't want it though! It can stain the surface a bit. I highly recommend the use of blue painters tape in such instances. I seem to have a good bit of experience with not-so-great joints.....
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up, Sandy. No slight intended but I needed to hear that someone else has trouble at times! Oh well, it's supposed to be fun so I have to get off the perfectionist's horse or I'll never get anything done.
                Later,
                Chiz

Comment

Working...
                X