X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Xxx Bs

Originally posted by zenophus View Post
    papadan....

1. Why would so many people buy a stationary power tool and do so much work to it before being able to use it.....If I bought a piece of equipment with all those problems, it would go right back to the store.

I could think of at least one reason:
    A. You purchase a 200 lb. tool, drag it home in your car for 15 miles, then spend 4 hours assembling it. Then, you turn it on, it vibrates a little. Then, you spend 4 hours dis-assembling it, packing it up in the box the way it was (if you saved all the stuffing), then shove it back in your car, drive the fifteen miles, find a cart, wait in line at the returns counter, and MAYBE get an exchange because it is open. That versus spending a little time (3 hours) learning about the tool and having the intellectual satisfaction that you made it work properly. I would prefer the latter as long as the tool is not DAMAGED.

2. I would not modify it and replaced half the stock parts on it with aftermarket parts that will void the warrenty

A. I would hardly call a larger table, guide blocks, and a riser block aftermarket modificatios that would "void" the warranty.

3. I just hate to see when maybe one person had a problem with something, then everyone has this problem and the Tool company gets slammed for no reason.

A. I fail to see where the company is getting "slammed" in this thread. What I see is people offering constructive help to someone who, because of lack of experience or a understandable degree of anxiety, was unable to get the VERY EXPENSIVE tool they purchased to work properly. Really, if the product is damaged, that's one thing. If they modify it to the point that it voids the warranty, that's their problem. If it's a small matter of tweaking, then I don't see the problem at all (does no one own a computer?) But there are people here who have had similar experiences with certain tools and helping them get through thier frustrations should not be an indictment of the spirit of innovation and experimentation.

4. Yo Ridgid, Sorry you have been subjected to this BS, I'm just glad 90% of your customers don't frequent forums sites like this.

A. Wow.....got any Prozac?
    Zenophus, your talking upgrades with the table size, guides, and riser. I have a riser for mine too. The subject here is about the quality of the saw in general. Statements like they drilled so many holes in the wheels there isn't much left when tryin to balance them. A wheel drilled like that will end up breaking and warrenty wont cover it. A tire that wont stay on, I can believe that every so often there may be A, as in one, tire that may have been streched or damaged during installation at the factory. but to get a new tire from Ridgid and say it doesn't fit either is off base. My whole post is not aimed at any one person, there are many posts on this and other forums stating these same faults and they all seem to originate from here on this forum site. The wheels are cast all the same, if one is so far out of balance, they all are, and Ridgid would get most of them back, instead of everyone drilling out balance holes in them and automaticaly replacing the tires. All over the web, there are people who are being talked out of buying the Ridgid band saw because of these statements. people who have never even seen one in person are recommending not to buy them because of what they have heard on other web sites. This crap happens with a lot of products all the time. There is a line of tape measures called FastCap that Woodcraft sells. Several people have posted about how good they are. One person posted that his was 1/16th" off and that led to several pages of posts by people saying theirs was off by 1/16th also. None of these people took it back, they just kept them and adjust their measurements for the 16th. I have 2 different models and know of 5 other people who have these tapes and none of them are off at all, 2 of the best tapes I have ever owned. Next we have the Wixey digital angle gauge. Same senario, one person posted that theirs was off by 1/10 of a degree and then most of the same people that praised theirs are saying it is off by 1/10th but they just compinsate for it and use it anyway. Mine nor any of the people i know that have them is off at all. Lets try it this way, look for my new post under tools.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

My BS1400 had wheels that were out of balance. I choose to balance them, the saw runs very smooth now. I did not sacrifice wheel integrity. I did have to drill several holes in each to get them in balance. I am still running it with the factory v belt set up with no problem there. My tires have never came off but do not run perfectly true. I feel for the price and tweaking I did it was a good buy. It would be nice though if Ridgid did correct the balance problem.
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

i was just stirng the pot
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

As many problems as people have with these bandsaws I wish people would just take them back instead of buying $100 worth of after market parts just to make them work. I took mine back because it wouldn't hold tires on the wheels. If everyone returned them maybe Ridgid would get their head out of their arse and fix these things. I love my Ridgid jointer, but the bandsaws are the dog turd in the garden.
          "Semper Fi"
          "A man who farts in church sits in own pew"

Comment

Just to let you guys know. This thread isnt going unheard by RIDGID. I have forwarded it off in a few directions within the organization.

Josh

Comment

Great, thanks Josh hope to get some kind of positive response back. As I hope Ridgid can fix the problems with the BS.

Comment

I had originally sent this message to papadan in private but after further consideration I feel it would be just as relevant to the members who have read this thread. I really, really believe that this forum actually HELPS people a great deal and do not want to come across as a pariah just because I expressed my opinion in a moment of frustration. I sincerely and publicly apologize to everyone here....

"I wanted to email you privately and tender an apology particularly for my last comment responding to your post. It was out of line. I was only upset that someone as respected in this forum as you would get so angry. While I understand your frustration, I only meant to imply that as long as the tool is not damaged (I had meant to imply that drilling the wheels was NOT something I would do), that tweaking it was part of the experience of owning a tool. I am a scientist....I love to experiment and play with machines. I have MILLION DOLLAR mass spectrometers in my lab that I take apart and modify all the time and I relish the satisfaction of making it do something beyond its original specifications (not ENTIRELY relevant to the current post, but...). I also meant to imply, and I hope it came across as such, that my particular Band Saw is performing WONDERFULLY after tuning it. I just was hoping to convey that people should not automatically reject Ridgid’s product because it did not work right out of the box or because of what this or that person might have said about it.

Again, please accept my apology."

Zeno
                Last edited by zenophus; 02-01-2007, 05:21 PM.
                “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Just to add more grist for the mill (or fuel to the fire as the case may be...), I'm a new member and found this forum when searching for a Herc-U-Lift for my new BS. I've been VERY pleased with my Ridgid tools and did not (shame on me) do much research before going with the Ridgid BS. I'm not new to woodworking, nor is this my first BS, but when I put the dang thing together and made all the adjustments, I found the very same vibration problems many of you have noted. Then, after about 3 minutes of run-time, the lower tire came off. I'm not thrilled with the overall construction/quality (strike three) and plan to take it apart tomorrow for a trip back to HD.

I'll probably go with a Grizz now, but would be happy to hear any thoughts/recommendations.

Steve

Comment

"Ridgid, Sorry you have been subjected to this BS"

Dan, RIDGID allows themselves to be subjected to this 'BS' as you call it because they don't squash the rumors when they start in my opinion. If they were more reactive to the problems posted here then the stories would die on the vine and not be propagated across the 'net to the point where they are out of control and affect their bottom line. But they choose to remain silent (at least that's the view from here), and that expands the problem.

Remember the TS-3650 arbor issue? Look how that got out of control. Finally, after what was it a couple weeks someone from RIDGID finally posted that they were working on the problem and offered direction to people who had issues to contact RIDGID. Once that happened the whole thing dies down. Just think what would have happened if they had responded in the first couple days once they had validated the problem. It would have been a non-issue, more correctly it COULD have been a PR triumph, but their thinking appears to be too short sighted for that to occur.

The forum is not the proper place to solve problems with consumer's tool problems, but someone dedicated to each major shop tool monitoring the forum for issues related to that tool could then contact the consumer outside of the forum or send them a PM asking them to contact them by phone or email to get the problem resolved. They may handle the problem themselves or hand you off to someone else, but you would get some attention and contact with a real person, not just a reply email with a copy of the manual in PDF format as someone one the forum stated they did recently. That's not CS, that's BS.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 02-03-2007, 08:51 AM.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Guys... I am doing everything I can within my power to bring attention to your problems. If I could fix the problem myself I would.

Sorry for the problems with the saw.

Comment

Working...
                      X