X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Planer Rollers. Help!!

I've had my planer for over a year now and I've had this problem since day one. I don't use it too often so this problem hasn't been a huge deal but I'll throw it out here for any suggestions. First of all the rollers are constantly covered with sawdust chips. Because of this I get little specs on the wood where the chips on the rollers transfer onto the wood. Secondly, about half of the time the rollers do not pull the board through the planer. I have to push or pull really hard to get the board through. I am only taking off about 1/32" each time and the boards are not cupped or warped. I think the two problems might be connected. I wonder if the woodchips on the rollers are preventing the rollers from getting a good grip on the board. As you can imagine this problem is really annoying. It requires a lot of sanding to get the little specs out and I don't like the thought of pushing/pulling my wood through the planer. The rollers are working because I can see them turning. Help!

Re: Ridgid Planer Rollers. Help!!

Clean the rollers with alcohol or rubber renewer and then alcohol, apply with a lint free cloth or green scotchbrite if they are badly glazed. Use paste wax or topcoat on the platen to make the wood slide easier. A dust collector would go a long way to reducing the chips that stick to the rollers

Comment

Just a thought, I'm not very familiar with the ridgid planer but are you using some sort of dust extraction? I would think if not the shavings would just fall down around the rollers and reduce their gripping capacity. I have a Dewalt 734 and without the shop vac attached to it it quickly builds up shavings at the bottom and I do get the little chunks torn off the piece from where shavings got in the way. Hook up the shop vac and everything is golden, no dirt or debris reaches the rollers or just about anywhere else.

Comment

I have always hooked the planer up to my shop vac so I don't think that's the problem. Has no one else had this problem?

Comment

I have a Ridgid 13" planner and haven't had any problems with it. I've read that cleaning the rollers to remove the pieces eliminates the problem. I've been running red oak thru mine for the last few days. I may need to do some house cleaning in there too.
          If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I've had the EXACT same problem. For me dust extraction didn't help. I've got a 1 1/2 HP delta dust collector hooked up using the 4" end of the dust extraction hood.

I've attributed the problem to two things: 1) the top surface of the wood that engages the rollers is not flat (that's why I'm sending it through the planer) and 2) the sawdust on the rollers. I've already waxed the table. It helps, but the problem still existed. When I clean off the rollers the problem subsides, but returns in short order. Moral of story, clean the sawdust off the rollers regularly.

Comment

I agree with the above post... Gotta clean the rollers very frequently. I found a stiff nylon bristled brush works well. I found one at the local Ace which has the head offset and is on a 6" handle plastic handle.... because, unfortunately, you really need the planer running to fully clean the rollers all the way around. This goes against all safety practices, but has proven effective. I got lots of 'dents' and chip imprints (although no feed problems) prior to this approach, but it's 99% eliminated if I clean the rollers after one or two 6-8' boards fed through.

On a side note, my shop-vac (Craftsmen, 12gal) is barely able to keep up if taking off 1/16" in the planer. *Barely*. Anything more and I have to either reduce the board length or put up with sanding out a few dents.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                unfortunately, you really need the planer running to fully clean the rollers all the way around. This goes against all safety practices, but has proven effective.
                Is this true? I came to this forum because I had this exact same problem, and have to clean the rollers today. But I thought for sure I would find some way of doing it that didn't involve the planer actually running! I was going to take the entire planer apart to get the rollers out, and I was hoping to find instructions on how to put it back together. But geez... it really has to be done with the planer running? Is that just a Rigid thing? That seems crazy.

Comment

If someone has a way for rotating the rollers without the motor running, by all means pleeease post it. I tried to rotate them by hand (with the motor unplugged, of course) but there isn't anything to grab onto (e.g. a motor belt).

I try to work safely, so this procedure definitely gets my gander up. But with the 6" handle and offset brush head, cleaning the rollers while it's running makes me uncomfortable, but not overly nervous. I crank the planer head assembly up near it's maximum height so I can clearly see the rollers & blades, and keep my fingers as far as possible from the whirling blades of doom.

Comment

There is no way to overcome the mechanical gear reduction and turn the feed rollers by hand but since they spin so slow you can clean one side, turn the machine on to rotate the feed rollers 1/2 turn then turn it off and clean the other 1/2. I have a delta and never have this issue. I clean the rollers maybe once a month depending on wood types and volume. Resinous woods requires more frequent cleaning but only to avoid feed slipping issues. I have never had problems with chips causing dents unless I am not paying attention to the DC and it overfills. Make sure you clean the rolls with alcohol so they are not tacky

Comment

I've had the same problem numerous times as well. I don't plane a "ton" of wood per say, but I think eventually it's going to drive me nuts! I kind of wondered many times if it was the material i am running? softwood- cvg fir.

Comment

Originally posted by rnt80 View Post
                        I have always hooked the planer up to my shop vac so I don't think that's the problem. Has no one else had this problem?
                        I "HAD" that problem with my DeWalt 12" planer when using my big Genie shop vac. Problem was the shop vac just could not pull all the wood chips and dust out fast enough to keep it clear inside. Once I got my dust collector and hooked up the 4" hose to it, problem was gone! It sucks it ALL up and then some!

Mark
                        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

I have a Ridgid planer and have run a ton of reject pallet wood (softwood) thru it. I think I did have some problems when I had the dust collector on it so I took it off and rolled the planer over to the door and just let the shavings fly. I love the smell and my dogs think it's great fun playing in the pile before I clean it up ;-). I'm a clean freak though and always vacuum the planer after each use so maybe that might have had something to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by <snip>
                            It sucks it ALL up [COLOR=red
                            and then some![/COLOR]

Mark
                            Yikes, Mark, did ya ever lose your shirt to it? - LOL!!
                            Later,
                            Chiz

Comment

Working...
                            X