Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An end-grain cutting board

Hi,

Here is a new end-grain cutting board I made yesterday (and today). Material: hard maple, walnut, and cherry. Pattern: from my wife.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2a7f35e40305f560d2c06cd7e3af98a6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	674Click image for larger version

Name:	5a4d97a2bd07e5c6a849c3ede5c2787e.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	675
    Click image for larger version

Name:	9384c24bf08c6b8a539335d6a7f474fc.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	676

Re: An end-grain cutting board

Very nice work on both your parts.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

very nice i like the design what glue and finish did you use?
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

That's some real nice work. You done a great job too. I like the pattern. I'm curious as to what finish you ised. I've been using mineral oil only. Here's my latest cutting board. Same materials, maple, walnut and cherry.Click image for larger version

Name:	3c57d9bcff7678b465e8d277a8bd716e.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	677
        If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Thanks all. Glue was Titebound III and the finish was mineral oil, followed by beeswax.

Comment

Both those boards are nice, fellas!! Do you plane them after glue-up? I remember someone asking about plaining end-grain in such an instance...what was the outcome of that?
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Both boards are very nice guys.

Comment

Thats real sharp work. I tried the same but the results were not so good.I haven't given up yet though!
                Where do you get plain mineral oil from? I tried at the drug store but couldn't find any that was unscented.

DAN

Comment

Check at another pharmacy and here's a little hint. It's called "white mineral oil" and is clear in color. Normally it's near to the laxatives and enemas. You don't want to use "baby oil" which smells nice for cutting boards. If your drug store doesn't have it, try the pharmacy department of a large market, or look in Target or Walmart. White mineral oil has been around a long time and people have taken it to help with constipation, and other medical uses. You want to make sure on the label that is says "food grade and USP". The brand that comes to mind is Squibb.

I hope this is helpful. Before anyone ingests any of it, be sure to read and understand all warnings on the label(s). After rubbing into your cutting board, be sure to rub off any excess with a clean cloth.

Another place to ask would be a steak house restaurant or a butcher shop.
                  Last edited by Woussko; 01-29-2007, 03:02 AM.

Comment

If you are asking about power planing, yes I admit I tried that. ONCE!!
                    It is an ugly and somewhat dangerous sight. At least it proved to me that serious kickback is possible with a thickness planer.
                    Not to mention a lot of work that went into the board was lost. :-(

And I knew better, just had to try for myself.
                    ken
                    Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

I did use thickness planer at the end to smooth the top (otherwise it would need a lot of sanding). Just be careful: if you don't round over the edges first it will chip very badly.

As for mineral oil, I got it from IKEA! my wife spotted it at the kitchen stuff section of IKEA and picked it up.

Comment

I actually made three of the cutting boards and ran both sides thru my planer on all 3 boards. I just took a very small amount of material each time. I agree with rounding the edges before using the planer. My first one chipped so bad I had to run it thru the TS and cut off the bad part.

dmule1,

I found a large bottle of mineral oil in the pharmacy section of Walmart. It was with other laxatives. I tried looking in the housewares section and flipped when I stumbled on it in the pharmacy.
                        If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Nice work.

At the shop we use an oil specifically for butchers block. You can find it in the kitchen and bath dept at Home Depot.

As for getting the thickness down, thats where my theory of some donuts (or beer) at the local smaller cabinet shop come in handy Id guess

Comment

Working...
                          X