Joint strength ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint strength ?

A guy wants a display cabinet for his collector mugs and he to be able to see the contents from both sides.
    The area he wants it in is roughly 57" wide by 34" tall. He wants a single door with no obstructions on one side with plexi for the panels.
    Rough sketching I get around a 51"x30" door. I'm worried about racking when the door is in use. He says he'll probably open it twice a year at the most. So the ? lies...... mortise and long tenon?.....with a draw bore dowel ( I hope thats correct) or not?..... or a sliding dovetail joint? Which one could withstand that kind of stress? Or is there any other method that might better?

PS Is there a spell checker on this?

DAN

Re: Joint strength ?

I don't think you will have any issues using raised panel rail and style bits. You can gain a great deal of strength from the plexi panel. Since you don't need to worry about expansion with plexi you can use silicone to bond the plexi panel to the rail and style.

Comment

Originally posted by dmule1 View Post
      A guy wants a display cabinet for his collector mugs and he to be able to see the contents from both sides.
      The area he wants it in is roughly 57" wide by 34" tall. He wants a single door with no obstructions on one side with plexi for the panels.
      Rough sketching I get around a 51"x30" door. I'm worried about racking when the door is in use. He says he'll probably open it twice a year at the most. So the ? lies...... mortise and long tenon?.....with a draw bore dowel ( I hope thats correct) or not?..... or a sliding dovetail joint? Which one could withstand that kind of stress? Or is there any other method that might better?

PS Is there a spell checker on this?

Here's a link to a video test for joints that I saw (hope this is the one) I can't view it at the present as this computer is locked out of youtube. Let me know if it's NOT it.
      Skip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhLfb7m9Fug
      Stay well and play well.
      Skip

Comment

I dont see a problem. I've seen heavier doors than that with bad joinery that didn't have any racking problems. But I do agree with WBrooks, his advice for this is foolproof.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Thanks everyone. That video was great. It's amazing how strong joinery could be. I'm still drawing so I haven't finalized much yet.
          I'll keep ya posted.
          Dan

DAN

Comment

Working...
          X