X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band saw BS14002

I recently purchased a new bandsaw. After assembly, I went to try it out and the blade wants to track at a 30 degree angle. I have readjusted all the common sense adjustments yet it will not stop twisting and always to the right. Looking at the blade it seems that the left side of the blade has very little set. Even a simple crosscut cannot be held to cut a straight line. Can someone help???

Re: Band saw BS14002

Possibly a better quality blade might be the fix in your case. I'm assuming that you have the blade tension set properly.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by kenbauer View Post
      I recently purchased a new bandsaw. After assembly, I went to try it out and the blade wants to track at a 30 degree angle. I have readjusted all the common sense adjustments yet it will not stop twisting and always to the right. Looking at the blade it seems that the left side of the blade has very little set. Even a simple crosscut cannot be held to cut a straight line. Can someone help???
      Is it possible the teeth on the left side of the blade are running on the metal part of the wheel? Or are they rubbing over something else? If so, it will flatten the set and dull the left-set teeth so the blade will bite deeper on the right. May want to check how the blade is tracking over the wheels.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

30 deg is a large amount of drift, too much to be drift I think.
        What does the blade look like when you back all the guides off and the blade is tensioned? Is it relatively square to the table and normal direction of cut, or is it angled somewhere around the 30 deg. you estimate?

If you have both the upper and lower guides backed off and the blade is still twisted I say toss it and get another blade. If it's the stock blade then toss just on principle 'cause it's certified junk like the stock blade that comes on most other bandsaws from the factory.

If you mount a new blade and still see the twist then you'll need to look deep into the setup of your BS cause something is screwed up for sure. Start from square one and do a complete alignment including adjusting the wheels.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

[quote=BadgerDave;67358]Possibly a better quality blade might be the fix in your case. I'm assuming that you have the blade tension set properly.

I set the tension according to the scale on the machine and also tried it with less and more tension. It made no difference.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
            Is it possible the teeth on the left side of the blade are running on the metal part of the wheel? Or are they rubbing over something else? If so, it will flatten the set and dull the left-set teeth so the blade will bite deeper on the right. May want to check how the blade is tracking over the wheels.

Go
            The teeth never hit the blocks at all and it runs centered on the wheel.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              30 deg is a large amount of drift, too much to be drift I think.
              What does the blade look like when you back all the guides off and the blade is tensioned? Is it relatively square to the table and normal direction of cut, or is it angled somewhere around the 30 deg. you estimate?

If you have both the upper and lower guides backed off and the blade is still twisted I say toss it and get another blade. If it's the stock blade then toss just on principle 'cause it's certified junk like the stock blade that comes on most other bandsaws from the factory.

If you mount a new blade and still see the twist then you'll need to look deep into the setup of your BS cause something is screwed up for sure. Start from square one and do a complete alignment including adjusting the wheels.
              Why in the world would ridgid or any other tool manu sell a tool with a blade that makes it unusable? Seems like if you buy a tool and the first taste of it you get is crap it might be hard to get rid of that. I contacted ridgid and all they sent me was a copy of the owners manual. Someone had told me they had great service. I wonder where it went?
              Anyway, The blade is straight to the table. It never does say what the space should be between blocks and blade. I set mine for .005

Ken

Comment

Hey Ken,

on the spacing between blocks and blade, my manual does say to set to the thickness of a folded dollar bill. I don't have the manual handy or I'd point you in the right direction there. They have a set distance, and basically it works out to the folded dollar bill.
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                X