X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw Thrust Guide Bearing Question

I looked at the Rikon 10-325 and its Craftsman almost clone today. Both very nice rugged looking saws.
    In doing a nose up close examination of the thrust bearing I saw that rolling surface of the thrust bearing was in line with the back of the blade so it was presenting the curved surface, rolling as the blade was pushed into it. What I expected to see was the the thrust bearing perpendicular to the back of the blade presenting its flat side to the back of the blade as I had seen on other saws.

Is one method better than the other? Anyone have any theory on this difference? Any practical experience with either? or both?

The longer I wait to get a bandsaw, the more questions I think of that I don't have the answers to. The suspense is killin' me.

Re: Bandsaw Thrust Guide Bearing Question

Hector, I have not looked at other brands of saws, but I would think that having the blade run against the flat of the bearing like the 1400 does would give better support. With the blade running on the outside (round) surface there would only be one very small contact point at the center and this would allow more flex of the blade under the bearing. With the guide set low for thin stock this would not be much of an issue, but raising it up for thicker stock would create more of a problem with the blade bending back and cutting at the top first leading into the stock instead of cutting through it all at the same time. This could create tracking problems on the lower end of the cut. MHO
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I think you will start to see more bearings oriented this way. It's supposed to prolong the life of the bearing because that is the way they are intended to work. I have had bandsaws with both set ups and I haven't noticed any difference in how they perform.
      "Semper Fi"
      "A man who farts in church sits in own pew"

Comment

Most European BS use this method from what I have heard. Using the side of the bearing as the RIDGID, Delta, and others do puts side thrust on the bearing and they are not designed to be loaded in this direction. Granted these are not huge forces and the bearings are pretty cheap...like less than a dollar or two each. My old Craftsman BS has the bearing oriented sideways, and still has the original bearings since 1984.

The Rikon 10-320 is closer to the new Craftsman 14" BS in design and features. The Rikon 10-325 has a number of improvements.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

bobd,

I know this is off the subject but is that your BS in the photo? If so can you post a couple of photos of the fence? I have the craftsman and I'm not to impressed with the fence at all. I may start looking for a better set up. If the Rikon is better maybe it would attach to the craftsman. Thanks...
          If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Yes, it is my BS. That was just after setting it up and I had not finished anchoring it to the floor, a move which helped the overall stability of the tool and one that is suggested in the manual. I didn't really want to anchor it, but it's just 4 3/8" Hiltis so not a big deal.

Anyway, the fence is nothing to write home about. It does have the capability to be adjusted for drift which is nice. and you can square the fence face to the table. I find movement along the rail a little rougher than I would like to see. Don't have any additional photos at this time, maybe later.

On my old BS I had installed the Fasttrack BS fence which is very similar to the Kreg fence. In fact I think that Kreg bought their design because I don't see the fence I have sold anywhere any longer.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 02-03-2007, 11:11 AM.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The craftsman manual recommends mounting it to the floor too, I'm not ready to drill holes in my concrete floor just yet. Thanks for the Kreg link, that is one neat looking BS fence. I may have to research that. Thanks again...
              If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Working...
              X