X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Saw Blades and router Bits

What are the recommended ways to clean saw blades and router bits? And what is a good source for sharpening these items.

DWC

Re: Cleaning Saw Blades and router Bits

simple green and oven cleaner and i out source the sharpening of my blades and bits
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Try the Search feature at the top portion of the page. If you use "blade cleaning" as your search subject you'll find a number of threads dealing with this question.

My personal preference is Simple Green. I spray it on, let it sit for only a couple of minutes then scrub the blade or router bit. Rinse it off then hand dry it making sure to remove any and all moisture from the blade/bit.

Actually, the frequency of blade/bit cleaning is as important as what to clean them with. I actually clean my router bits after each use.

My .02ยข worth on oven cleaner is to stay away from using it on your blades and bit.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Safety point: Jointer knives are extreeeeeemly sharp. Use a thick wad of rags for wiping them. I paint on the cleaner with a disposable acid brush and wipe as stated. I got a shallow cut on my finger one time when cleaning and hardly new I'd touched the knife. How many of us keep a basic first aid kit in the shop- sterile gauze to stem blood flow until you get into the house. I don't work in the garage/ shop unless I have the cell phone on my hip, too. Plenty can happen and there's no way to get help in some situations. This is the voice of experience talking (not a shop injury, thankfully, but I was unable to help myself , waiting to be 'found').
        Later,
        Chiz
        Last edited by ironhat; 02-01-2007, 01:35 PM. Reason: spelling correction
        Later,
        Chiz

Comment

I've had good results with several methods. The list below is in order of preference:

- LA's Totally Awesome
          - Goo Gone
          - Simple Green
          - Boeshield Blade n Bit cleaner
          - Dawn/water
          - Easy Off

Since the oven cleaner is the harshest and messiest, I'd suggest trying other methods first, and you don't need to buy the special cleaners sold at wood stores like Boeshield and CMT....any degreasing spray cleaner or citrus cleaner should work well. I've read that kerosene is a good choice, and it has a preferred pH level.
          Last edited by hewood; 02-01-2007, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Greased lightening works well if you can submerge the bit/blade in it.

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

simple green is good to but i have used ....KRUD remover. It is fairly cheap and you can buy it at wal mart.

Comment

I vote for simple green too. Although I did discover this warning at http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_tips.php. Under the heading BLADES, CARBIDE & SAW BLADES. "What we do not recommend is long-term soaking of Carbide blades in Simple Green. Long-term exposure like this can possibly cause cobalt leaching that will, in turn, affect the integrity or carbide."

I am going to try the "black coffee soaking", mentioned at the end of the paragraph on the above site, next time I have a blade that needs cleaning.
                Last edited by wkent; 02-01-2007, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Has anyone tried varsol <aka> mineral spirits? Back some time ago when I took woodworking in HS, that's what we used. Yes, it stinks, but it cleaned them pretty well and doesn't cost that much. It's a good paint brush cleaner (for oil based paint and varnish) too.

Comment

Originally posted by dwcurry View Post
                    What are the recommended ways to clean saw blades and router bits? And what is a good source for sharpening these items.

DWC
                    I have used Freud cleaning but recently heard that Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (not baking soda) gives great results; safe on your hands, safe for the enviroment.

I'd suggest stay away from oven cleaner. That contains chemicals that will eat away the carbide tips (even if you don't see it)

Comment

Great responses. I thought of trying chlorine free brake cleaner spray, anyone have experience with that? Also, after a good cleaning, how do you prevent rust (in addition to a good drying)?

Thanks for the inputs.

DWC

Comment

I use CMT 2050 effective cleaner and provides rust protection

Comment

Originally posted by wkent View Post
                          I vote for simple green too. Although I did discover this warning at http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_tips.php. Under the heading BLADES, CARBIDE & SAW BLADES. "What we do not recommend is long-term soaking of Carbide blades in Simple Green. Long-term exposure like this can possibly cause cobalt leaching that will, in turn, affect the integrity or carbide."

I am going to try the "black coffee soaking", mentioned at the end of the paragraph on the above site, next time I have a blade that needs cleaning.
                          Just tried the coffe soaking and it worked great! Thanks for the link and tip.

Tell me, does anyone wax blades as they do cast iron tops?? I think in the Ridgid 3650 manual it recommends NOT waxing the fence.

Thanks.
                          Stay well and play well.
                          Skip

Comment

I use Charlie's Soap (website). From the advertising I thought they were selling snake oil (the website boasts that it "cleans everything from false teeth to diesel engines"), but it really does cut wood sap from saw blades. I spray it on and use a toothbrush to scrub the blade clean.

- djb
                            sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Working...
                            X