X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handheld drills

For those of us not lucky enough to own a drill press, can anyone offer any tips on how to drill perpendicular holes with a handheld drill. No matter what I do I can't keep the drill straight. Thanks

Re: handheld drills

You can get one of these from Sears. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Thanks. I'll check that out!

Comment

There are drill guides available that you can buy, and even drill holder that can turn your corded drill motor into a mini drill press, but probably not with the precision or power that you would like.

Another way to help guide a hand-held drill motor is to take a block of wood say 1.5 or 2 inches thick and cut a notch in the corner of it. Then use the notch to help square the drill bit to the workpiece.

Using the corner of the notch lets you keep the bit square in both directions, if you just used the edge of a board you would only be assured of square in one direction.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Hey Bob: When were you A Bee? Retired in 1987.

Comment

dmr -
            Before you spend $30 on a gizmo that tries to make your hand drill a drill press, consider spending $10 more ($40) on a bench top drill press from Harbor Freight: Click Me
            - djb
            sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

You were gone by the time I got in. I got out last year, the last 6 were in IRR.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

A really cheap way would be to purchase a couple of stickon bubble levels and stick them on the drill motor so you can see them as you're running the drill. One for horizontal and one for vertical alignment. Let us know how you go...
                If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

DMR,

I'd go with the suggestion that PapaDan made. I've used a similar drill guide (originally made by "Portalign", since the early 70's. I wouldn't be without one.

While a drill press of any kind is certainly a bonus to any shop, you can't beat the versatility of an adjustable drill guide. Whether putting up shelves in the pantry or drilling bolt holes in the deck, the necessity for a portable alignment tool is essential; and, a drill press can't be used in either of those examples.

I have a Ryobi D45 Drill/Driver with the bubble levels built in. Nice feature and on initial use I reasoned that all drills should be so equipped. However, I soon found that my eyes need to be on the drill point, not the levels. The drill-guide provides a stable platform, is adjustable to angles, and has an adjustable stop, and is portable. In addition to the Craftsman model, you will also find them sold at Home Depot (recently added), Rockler, Lee-Valley, and probably others.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

A good investment would also be a set of brad point bits. The center point keeps it from walking and the 2 outer flutes do a nice cut. The great thing about freehand drilling is you can watch when the outer flutes just begin to touch the surface and then slightly adjust your angle until the circle the flutes are scribing, are a full circle. It's actually very accurate!

Mark
                    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Working...
                    X